Clean Installation of Windows XP STOP:0xC0000221 and I386\asms RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello.

I'm doing a clean installation of Windows XP on a Tablet Computer. I have used two discs, we'll call them DiscA and DiscB. I also have two tablet computers, we'll call them Tablet1 and Tablet2.

I took DiscA and tried to install a fresh XP OS on Tablet1. I ran setup straight from DiscA, and upon trying to initialize Windows, I got a STOP code 0xC0000221 (Unknown Hard Error). It also mentioned the driver \%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\ntdll.dll. (I started Windows from the Hard Disc afterwards, I got another STOP (0xB4) stating the video driver failed to start). After realizing I was getting no where with this disc, I threw it aside and popped in DiscB. Setup actually ran, I was able to delete the C:\ partition and format the hard disk. I first tried the Quick NTFS formatting, but I got an error after the system rebooted and initialized Windows. This error was saying <installation disc>\i386\asms couldn't load because "The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid." This was ALL on Tablet1.

Plot Twist time: I took DiscB and used it with Tablet2. Installation just now completed, XP is working great.

Tablet1 and Tablet2 are the same make and model computer (MotionComputing M1400). I'm starting to think it's just a screwy hard disk on Tablet1, but I would like reassurance that I can exclude XP from the list of causes.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:12 PM

All replies

• Sometimes you will see that error message if the installation disc is not 100% free of smudges and fingerprints.  Use a mild, non-ammonia-based cleaning solution and a soft cloth and thoroughly clean the installations discs and then try installing again.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Sometimes you will see that error message if the installation disc is not 100% free of smudges and fingerprints.  Use a mild, non-ammonia-based cleaning solution and a soft cloth and thoroughly clean the installations discs and then try installing again.
    Carey Frisch

It was actually straight out of the package. I looked at the discs, no visible damage/smudges.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:35 PM
  • The CD drive may be defective.  Try swapping them.  It appears the issue you're having is hardware related.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:37 AM
  • It turned out that both discs sucked.

I acquired another installation disc and used it for both tablets, now they're both healthy and functional.

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:36 PM