windows updates - unregistering ocx files RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone else puzzled at the fact that the latest windows updates have unregistered 2 ocx files?  The two files I am speaking of are mscomctl.ocx & comctl32.ocx.  What is their deal with wanting to un-register these 2 files for the third time?

I cannot fathom why they would so such a silly thing.  These 2 files are pretty common if you ask me, but apparently they either are unaware of the effects it has on add-in applications within Microsoft Excel or that they just don't care.

Monday, February 4, 2013 6:07 PM

All replies

• You do have a perplexing problem, but I seriously doubt Windows updates are "unregistering ocx files."  Those files have never been unregistered on any of my XP systems and they are all updated regularly.  I current have 5 XP system running with current updates.

It is more likely some sort of malware or misbehaving program is causing the problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Why do you doubt it?  It is fact considering that the last time we applied Microsoft updates to our users machines it did indeed unregister them. So we had to go register them back and as a result it avoid the errors that occur within Microsfot Excel.  We tested it out and it was proven to be true.  Not only that, but other vendors that are company works with concurs.  Do you work for Microsoft? Is that why you are doubting?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:19 PM
  • I do not work for Microsoft and never have.

I use Windows because I am a prisoner of the system and have little choice about which operating system I use to stay compatible with others I work with.  I started with Radio Shack computers in the early 80's.  I used a Macintosh in the latter 80's because of a specialized program that was best suited for the work I was in at the time.  When I left that job I was forced to use MS-DOS and Windows.

So, I not a Microsoft fan, but have been forced to use it because everyone does.  It's like dealing with the Borg - Resistance is Futile!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:30 PM