Skype clients listing duplicate phone numbers and one can't be dialed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my Skype clients are listing 2 direct numbers for some people one of which does not include a "1" before the area code and when users click on it to call someone the call cannot be made. The 2nd entry does include the "1" before the area and if they click on this entry the can be dialed. It also lists mobile numbers twice for these same people. So, how can I get Skype to, I guess place a "1" at the beginning of those numbers, and why are there duplicates, where is it pulling these numbers from. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:19 PM

Answers

• I think we might have a solution! This MS article seems to do the trick, I already had the update but I ran the commands to create that new policy and added myself to test and the duplicates seem to be gone form my client today.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042810/duplicated-working-numbers-for-contacts-are-displayed-in-call-drop

• Marked as answer by ÁNLEIFR Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:15 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Hi ÁNLEIFR,

You need to check is address book normalization rules where it will normalize the numbers assigned to your account and display it in Address book, please refer to
    http://ucken.blogspot.in/2015/05/skype4b-address-book-normalization.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Moreover, please try to run the command line SFB management shell to update address book: Update-CsAddressBook

Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by ÁNLEIFR Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi ÁNLEIFR,

You need to check is address book normalization rules where it will normalize the numbers assigned to your account and display it in Address book, please refer to
    http://ucken.blogspot.in/2015/05/skype4b-address-book-normalization.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Moreover, please try to run the command line SFB management shell to update address book: Update-CsAddressBook

Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by ÁNLEIFR Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update about this issue?

Regards, 

Alice Wang

• Edited by Alice-Wang Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:26 AM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:26 AM
  • Yes, thank you.

I have went through and either made sure or created new Normalization Rules for each problem number (+1AreacodeThenNumber or +AreacodeThenNumber) in each Dial Plan and test successfully in all for both types of dials. Some were successful with both and some had one but not the other so I have made sure and tested that both types pass testing now in every Dial Plan. Having said that, when calling from the Skype client by clicking on the number the +AreacodeThennumber is still not working. If I manually dial +AreacodeThenNumber and I am manually typing in the “+” sign it works. It is only when selecting that number and clicking on it from the client via the phone icon that it does not work. You can see in the client when it dials, the client is calling +AreacodeThenNumber directly then the error, one ring and "your call cannot be completed as dialed", almost like it is not going to the Skype server to hit the Dial Plan and Normalization Rules to convert it.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Update: Still have the issue. I have a ticket open with MS too, I will update when we get it figured out.
    Friday, January 26, 2018 3:04 PM
  • OK, waiting for your response

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Monday, January 29, 2018 7:10 AM
  • Have you seen http://ucken.blogspot.com/2016/08/normalizing-with-plus-sign.html

Your addressbook normalization will not normalize if there's a +, so AD will have to be corrected. But if the number comes from Outlook or in the client, + can be normalized

Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:08 AM
  • Normalization is good across the board, I have went in a used the Skype Test tool to test them all. The issue doesn't appear to make it to Skype to hit normalization, to me it appears the client automatically sends the error as soon as dialed.  We ran some logging for users with the duplicates verses those without and MS is analyzing the results. It does show in these logs the duplicate number so maybe we can pinpoint the cause, we have already verified they are not coming from AD.
    Monday, February 5, 2018 4:32 PM
  • I think we might have a solution! This MS article seems to do the trick, I already had the update but I ran the commands to create that new policy and added myself to test and the duplicates seem to be gone form my client today.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042810/duplicated-working-numbers-for-contacts-are-displayed-in-call-drop

• Marked as answer by ÁNLEIFR Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:15 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Can the normalization rule be done in Sfb online?   

Command (Get-CsAddressBookNormalizationConfiguration).AddressBookNormalizationRules isn't working in Sfb Online.  Thanks 

Thomas N

Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:10 PM