In-Place Upgrade--newbie questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Community

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951371.aspx

Based on this TechNet, after I done the In-place upgrade for my Lync 2013 SE.

Will this article also applies to a Lync 2013 Edge and also a stand-alone Lync 2013 Mediation Server...? Or will I need to build a new SFB 2015 edge Server

I have an existing Web App Server for the PowerPoint sharing, anything I need to upgrade or patch to make it work with SFB 2015?

Last, I have a stand-alone Lync 2013 Monitor Server with SQL 2008 as the Db, how do i deal with this...?

Thanks in Advance

magellan

Saturday, December 17, 2016 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi magellan,

Welcome to post in our forum.

You could use the method in this article to upgrade Edge server, Mediation server, and the Persistent Chat pool.

For your office web app server, you could try to upgrade it to office online server 2016, please refer to the following blog
    http://chrishayward.co.uk/2016/06/17/how-to-upgrade-office-web-apps-2013-to-office-online-server-2016/

For Monitoring server, if you don't want to upgrade your existing Archiving and Monitoring databases, remove the dependency before you upgrade the topology. If you want to create new Archiving and Monitoring databases, during the upgrade, you can create a new SQL store and associate it with the pool.

If you do an in place upgrade of a Lync 2013 Pool to SFB which is associated with Monitoring and Archiving databases, those databases will automatically be upgraded to the SFB Schemas.
    If you don’t want the databases to be upgraded, you should disassociate them from the 2013 Pool before in place upgrading SFB.

For details, please refer to
    http://tomtalks.uk/2016/01/skype-business-lync-2013monitoring-archiving-support-versions/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Monday, December 19, 2016 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by magellan98_99 Friday, December 23, 2016 5:38 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Hi magellan,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this case.

would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Or

If the answer is helpful to you, please mark it as an answer in order to help others with similar issue.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 23, 2016 5:15 AM

All replies

• Hi magellan,

Welcome to post in our forum.

You could use the method in this article to upgrade Edge server, Mediation server, and the Persistent Chat pool.

For your office web app server, you could try to upgrade it to office online server 2016, please refer to the following blog
    http://chrishayward.co.uk/2016/06/17/how-to-upgrade-office-web-apps-2013-to-office-online-server-2016/

For Monitoring server, if you don't want to upgrade your existing Archiving and Monitoring databases, remove the dependency before you upgrade the topology. If you want to create new Archiving and Monitoring databases, during the upgrade, you can create a new SQL store and associate it with the pool.

If you do an in place upgrade of a Lync 2013 Pool to SFB which is associated with Monitoring and Archiving databases, those databases will automatically be upgraded to the SFB Schemas.
    If you don’t want the databases to be upgraded, you should disassociate them from the 2013 Pool before in place upgrading SFB.

For details, please refer to
    http://tomtalks.uk/2016/01/skype-business-lync-2013monitoring-archiving-support-versions/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Monday, December 19, 2016 1:59 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Hi magellan,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this case.

would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Or

If the answer is helpful to you, please mark it as an answer in order to help others with similar issue.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Friday, December 23, 2016 5:15 AM
  • Great inputs & answers...thx Alice.....:-)

magellan

Friday, December 23, 2016 5:39 AM