none
Saving and restore user datas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a server windows server 2016 uptodate. This server is on two vlans. One is dedicated to deployment. So there is Linux dhcp and a clonezilla. The second vlan is for remote access.

There is WDS and MDT 2013 on this server. 

I can do fresh full install and upgrade win 7 to win 10.

I would like to the scenario "computer windows 7 to new computer windows 10".

I can backup the computer but I can't save userdatas so I can't restore user data on new computer with windows 10. 

I tried to follow  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn744268(v=ws.11).aspx (Replace a Windows 7 Computer with a Windows 8.1 Computer) but it looks like I missed something.

That tutorial is talking about special replace task sequence runs the USMT backup but what is this task sequence. How to set up this? 

Honestly I'm lost about restoring user datas..

Ah! I forgot to say. I'm new on mdt.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:04 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If you really are trying to upgrade from an older OS to Windows 10, then make a new task sequence and select the "Standard Client Upgrade Task Sequence" from the list of templates. This is designed to upgrade the OS and thus leave all user data intact. So you don't need to save the user data.

If you wanted to do a clean install, that's different and would require running two different task sequences. First you would build a new task sequence based on the "Standard Client Replace Task Sequence". That TS would run USMT and backup user data to a MIG file. When that finishes you could then boot the computer to a flash drive or WDS that has the MDT boot image and run a Standard Client Task Sequence. By default that would wipe the drive. It's up to you to configure MDT properly and have the wizard prompt for the location of the UDShare so the user data could be restored during deployment.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, September 1, 2017 4:08 PM