Sleep, no shut down RRS feed

• Question

• I had a dual boot in my laptop. After it when I try to shut down win8, it goes to sleep but doesn't shut down. Please help!
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:48 AM

All replies

• 1. It depends how are keys configured. Consult power management.

2. Make sure that use installed proper chipset driver.

3. Make sure that your notebook is compatible with  Windows 8.

4. If nothing helps and notebook is compatible with W 8, consult with notebook vendor support.

Regards

Milos

• Edited by Milos Puchta Sunday, March 2, 2014 6:45 PM Typpo
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:32 AM
  • It originally had windows 8, and the second OS shuts down but win8 doesn't!
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:41 AM
  • I agree with Milos,  you need to check your power settings in the control panel.

- Chris Ream -

**Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.**

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:30 PM
  • A. Without knowing more about your computer it is not possible to point to proper chipset driver.

B. Also check content of Device Manager for not properly installed devices and go into Event logs and share your findings concerning errors and warnings.

C. If you have notebook consult your user's guide. Functional keys may be a bit tricky.

D. Sometimes there may be problem with application that hangs and does not allow shutdown.

E. In some marginal cases I use shutdown from command prompt

shutdown -s -f -t 0

Parameter f makes applications end. This setting overrides group policy settings that normally prevent computer from shutting when DVD is in drive. This reminds me the you should check that no such policy is set.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, March 2, 2014 6:56 PM