Is it possible to retry Distribution Point role removal if failed initially? RRS feed

• Question

• During my lab testing I came across a scenario where if you select to remove a distribution point role while the remote server hosting the distribution point isn't contactable, SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER won't retry the removal. Is there a (clean) way to manually remove the distribution point role from the remote server or trigger SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER to attempt the removal again? In this case I will be rebuilding the server anyway, but I'm curious if there is a way to do this in case I encounter it in a production scenario

• Edited by Scott Breen Australia Monday, March 2, 2015 11:40 PM add "role" to some references to make it clear
    Monday, March 2, 2015 4:58 AM

All replies

• Hi there Eswar, thanks for trying to help, unfortunately I'm talking about the removal of the role, not the packages. So your links don't help :(

I will update my post to make it clear I'm talking about the role.

Monday, March 2, 2015 11:39 PM
  • did you try removing the role from the site server ? what does the log says ? it keeps trying to connect to remote DP ? i will perform the same in my lab and let you know how it works and workaround if there is any.

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti | Twitter: Eskonr

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:40 AM
  • Hi Eswar,

I was monitoring distmgr.log while performing then site system role removal. According to distmgr.log it only tries the removal once, then after that it never retries and the distribution point role information is removed from the database.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

So the DP has disappeared from the SCCM Console? Please try to re-add the DP role to the same server, then remove it.

Best Regards,

Joyce

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Scott Breen Australia Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Yes, it has disappeared. Thanks for the suggestion Joyce, I thought about trying that as well, however if possible I'd prefer a different option.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:50 PM
  • different option to remove the retired DP role ?if the removal of the DP role (the easiest way)from your site server solves the issue,why do you look for something else ? and that something else would be editing the DB which is unsupported but have seen few did with caution in lab (you know what you are doing).

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti | Twitter: Eskonr

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:41 PM
  • Hi Eswar,

No, I'm looking for a way to retry the Distribution Point role removal on a remote site system. I'm not saying that I won't do what Joyce suggested above, I'm just hoping there is another way. If there isn't, I'll contact Microsoft to ask them to consider adding this capability to the product.

At no point have I suggested editing the database, nor do I intend to as the information is correctly removed from the database by the removal process. The problem in this case is that the Distribution Point provider and associated components is not removed from the remote site server (cleanly).

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:06 AM
  • Ok...There is no standard documentation (AFAIK) that says,manual removal of entries like IIS,Contentlib folder,Registry keys etc from the DP server .You may either manually delete the entries like IIS,SCCMContentlib folder or just Re-Add the Distribution point role that should enough to go.Re-adding the DP would create/overwrite the settings that are previously configured.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:58 AM
  • Thanks again Eswar.

I'll just leave this open for a bit to see if anyone HAS found a way to force the system to retry (automatic) removal.

I accept that the current available options based on discussions above are:

• re-add, then remove
    • manually delete entries
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:02 AM