none
Global Names Zone and DNS client registration RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2012 r2 domain & forest level.  All DNS servers are win2012r2 or win2016.

In order to remove WINS from our environment, I created & enabled a global names zone.  I added a handful of servers to it & removed their WINS IPs and their WINS record from each WINS server.

On the GNZ, I set dynamic updates to none.

For 24 hours, those servers were accessible, however, after another 24 hours or so, their records dropped out of their primary DNS zone & when I run ipconfig /registerdns on the servers, it fails.

In order to fix the issue, I first changed the dynamic updates back to Secure, but the servers would still not register themselves in DNS, so I added their WINS IPs back & ran nbtstat –RR & ipconfig /registerDNS and the servers then re-registered in both & were accessible again.

What am I missing in the GNZ configuration?

Thanks

Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

Please note: GNZ is a solution where your DNS servers are now able to provide name resolution for single-label names.

Your goal is to remove the WINS server from your environment. So I suggest that you "transfer" the relevant client's records in the WINS server to the DNS server and then uninstall the WINS server.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 2, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Due to having several critical applications that use WINS resolution, we cannot simply cut the cord, but must transition the servers over from WINS to the GNZ.

In testing, we found that if a server had been statically entered into the GNZ, when it came time for it to dynamically re-register it's original FQDN zone record, it failed.  We assume it's because of the static GNZ record, but that makes no sense.  Can't the records coexist?

Thanks

Friday, August 2, 2019 3:39 PM
  • What is the setting of Aging/Scavenging on your DNS?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:25 AM
  • no-refresh interval is 1 hour

refresh interval is 1day

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Please try to change this period of time to be longer.

no-refresh interval is 7 day

refresh interval is 7 day

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:38 AM
  • I don't understand why the intervals need to be longer when the issue is that the clients won't re-register their records as long as a GNZ record exists for the client.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:07 PM
  • " the clients won't re-register their records "

Please reproduce the issue first, then check the logs in the DNS Client( Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->DNS Client Events ) according to the corresponding timestamp.

" their records dropped out of their primary DNS zone "

I suspect that the records in the DNS zone were cleared by the Aging/Scavenging mechanism. So I recommend lengthening the non-refresh/refresh interval.

Best Regards,

Leon

Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.
    Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue resolved? 
    If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,
    Leon

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:47 AM
  • No time to work on the issue lately, so I will close the ticket & revisit at a later time.  Thans
    Monday, August 19, 2019 6:54 PM
  • OK.

We welcome you to post in this forum at any time. We are happy to assist you.

Best Regards,

Leon

Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:36 AM