i cant open my .MIG FILE RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently transfered all of my data from my computer on to my external hard drive using windows easy transfer in order to install windows 7. After installing windows 7 i tried to restore all my data but windows doesnt regognize the .MIG file so i cant get all my data back somone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    conor mckenna
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:50 PM

All replies

• When you say it doesn't recognize it, does it find it at all?  Does it give you an error message?
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

By any chance did you go from a 64-bit to 32-bit or 23-bit to 64-bit version of windows?

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I've used Windows Easy Transfer successfully to go from Win7 32 bit to 64 bit.  I don't think this is an issue.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Hi Teddy,

I have not used Easy Transfer personally but I have read some articles on there being potential issues between x86 and x64

Here is a link to a tool that is discussed alot for this issue http://www.visser.com.au/blog/migrecover-for-microsofts-windows-easy-transfer/

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I highly recommend 'WET'.  I've used it multiple times in the last few months, as I changed pc's and upgraded to 64 bit.  It is fast, and it's quite hard to tell that you're working on a new pc afterwards. 

It takes care of every detail, including custom certificates, EVERYTHING!  All you have to do is re-install the apps, and away you go.  Your Outlook profile is already configured, just like it was, all your cookies are there, your favorites, docs, music, you name it.  I have found it to be flawless.

Monday, August 1, 2011 6:16 PM