is there a batch file for removing navigation pane in windows 7 explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Originally, I wanted to prevent users from seeing the network icon in the navigation pane in Windows 7 explorer.  I have found registry entries that will do this, but there is no way for me to run this on every single Windows 7 computer that we have, especially considering that you must have full permissions on the ShellFolder to edit the attributes.  The issue is that our Active Directory server is only Windows Server 2003. I work in education and we do not have money to upgrade our AD server right now.  I cannot use a 2003 GPO to prevent users from seeing the Network Icon in the navigation pane.  This poses a huge security risk for us because our student users can browse the network and see all of our computers.  I found a .reg file that will remove the navigation pane altogether.  I was able to create a .bat file that will run the .reg file in silent mode.  This works great.  However, all the user has to do is click on Organize, go to Layout options and select Navigation pane and it comes right back.  Does anyone have a script or know of a way to will disable the Layout Options in Windows 7 explorer so that our users cannot view the Navigation pane.  Please help!!!

Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi TMC,

Have you seen this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/258bf387-3048-4060-a881-efd6be1fdfc3/

I'm not entirely sure if it will solve your problem.

Regards, Michael Sammels [MCP]
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 3, 2011 10:07 AM
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

You may also choose to disable Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 3, 2011 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, but what I was hoping to be able to do is to accomplish this task without having to touch each individual computer.  We just ordered a large shipment of Windows 7 computers without a Windows Server 2008 AD Server to apply GPOs with.  I was hoping to be able to find a script that I could use as a logon script that would accomplish this task.

Friday, June 24, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Thanks, Michael.  I did run across this post while searching for a solution.  While every post helps in one way or another, I was hoping for a more permanent solution and a way to accomplish this with using Windows Server 2003 AD.  Thank you for taking the time to reply. =)
    Friday, June 24, 2011 1:17 PM