none
Bar Formats resetting with new Bar Style inputs RRS feed

• Question

• I have created numerous tasks within a schedule where I have unwittingly manually adjusted the individual Bar Formats of each task.  I believe this is because I manually adjusted a set of generic tasks that I then copied, pasted and edited while I was building the initial schedule.  Now I would like to adjust the bars' formatting on a schedule-wide basis.  However, the Bar Style function doesn't seem to override the Bar Formatting that I established at the outset as described above.  Am I stuck with having to manually edit the Bar Format of each task individually or is there a way to adjust all the tasks at once?

Thanks,

Bill

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:23 PM

Answers

• Bill,

Yeah it does.

Can you see it now?

If you want to reset all bar styles you don't need a filter, just select all tasks and then pick up at step 4.

John

• Marked as answer by Bill H MtAiry Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:24 PM
  • Bill --

To follow up to the excellent answers from my colleague, John, there are a couple of things you can do to simplify your situation.  First of all, to reset the bar styles of all bars back to their default settings in Microsoft Project 2010, do the following:

1.  Click the Task tab to display the Task ribbon and then display the Gantt Chart view of your project.

2.  In the View section of the Task ribbon, click the Gantt Chart pick list button and select the Reset to Default item in the menu.

3.  In the Warning dialog, click the Yes button to complete the reset process.

Your next set of steps will allow you to automatically format the Gantt bars of selected tasks in your schedule.  In the Gantt Chart view, temporarily insert the Marked column to the right of the Task Name column.  In the Marked column, select a Yes value for every task you want to display a custom Gantt bar.  Once done, complete these additional steps:

1.  Double-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane to display the Bar Styles dialog.

2.  Scroll down to the bottom of the list of styles and select the first blank row.

3.  In the blank row, enter Custom Bar in the Name column and then press the Right-Arrow key.

4.  With the Appearance cell selected for the Custom Bar row, set up your custom formatting of the Gantt bar in the Bars section at the very bottom of the page.  For example, you may want to change the Pattern to Solid and the Color to Olive Green, Darker 50%.  Press the Right-Arrow key again.

5.  In the Show For...Tasks column, type the following text string:  Marked, Active, Not Manually Scheduled and then press the Right-Arrow key again.

6.  Leave the Row value set to 1, leave the From value set to Task Start, and leave the To value set to Task Finish.

7.  Click the OK button.

At this point, every task with a Marked value set to Yes will display the custom Gantt bar you specified.  Any future tasks that you want to format in this manner, you only need to set the Marked value to Yes for those tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Bill H MtAiry Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:08 PM

All replies

• Bill,

No, you are not stuck with having to manually clear the formatting from each bar. Try this

1. For each task that has the undesired bar formatting, set Flag1 to "yes"

2. Apply a filter for Flag1

3. Select all tasks isolated by the filter

4. Go to Format > Bar styles group > Format > Bar

5. In the Format Bar window hit Reset and then OK

You might want to clear the Flag1 field and you can quickly do that by setting the first filtered task Flag1 field to "no" and then do a Fill Down.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:36 PM
  • Thanks John, but you lost me at point 4.  MS Project 2010 (my version) doesn't seem to have a Bar Styles Group selection under the Format tab.  Note that, since I actually want to reset all the tasks and start over with formatting certain types of tasks, I filtered for all the tasks by a date range that included all of them.  Could that be the problem?

Bill

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Bill,

Yeah it does.

Can you see it now?

If you want to reset all bar styles you don't need a filter, just select all tasks and then pick up at step 4.

John

• Marked as answer by Bill H MtAiry Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:24 PM
  • My bad John, I guess I'm still getting used to the menu bar vernacular...

Thank you for your patience,

Bill

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:43 PM
  • Bill,

No problem, you're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If one of my responses answered your question, please consider marking it as the answer.

John

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Bill --

To follow up to the excellent answers from my colleague, John, there are a couple of things you can do to simplify your situation.  First of all, to reset the bar styles of all bars back to their default settings in Microsoft Project 2010, do the following:

1.  Click the Task tab to display the Task ribbon and then display the Gantt Chart view of your project.

2.  In the View section of the Task ribbon, click the Gantt Chart pick list button and select the Reset to Default item in the menu.

3.  In the Warning dialog, click the Yes button to complete the reset process.

Your next set of steps will allow you to automatically format the Gantt bars of selected tasks in your schedule.  In the Gantt Chart view, temporarily insert the Marked column to the right of the Task Name column.  In the Marked column, select a Yes value for every task you want to display a custom Gantt bar.  Once done, complete these additional steps:

1.  Double-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane to display the Bar Styles dialog.

2.  Scroll down to the bottom of the list of styles and select the first blank row.

3.  In the blank row, enter Custom Bar in the Name column and then press the Right-Arrow key.

4.  With the Appearance cell selected for the Custom Bar row, set up your custom formatting of the Gantt bar in the Bars section at the very bottom of the page.  For example, you may want to change the Pattern to Solid and the Color to Olive Green, Darker 50%.  Press the Right-Arrow key again.

5.  In the Show For...Tasks column, type the following text string:  Marked, Active, Not Manually Scheduled and then press the Right-Arrow key again.

6.  Leave the Row value set to 1, leave the From value set to Task Start, and leave the To value set to Task Finish.

7.  Click the OK button.

At this point, every task with a Marked value set to Yes will display the custom Gantt bar you specified.  Any future tasks that you want to format in this manner, you only need to set the Marked value to Yes for those tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Bill H MtAiry Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:08 PM
  • Thank you Dale, this is also good information to know.

Bill

Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:11 PM