none
Migration from Sharepoint 2010 foundation to Sharepoint office 365

Question

• Hello All,

We are currently planning to move our Sharepoint 2010 foundation to office 365.

Would like to get the advice as we are doing this for the very first time and also I have one question of about how can we migrate the user (windows authentication) to office 365.

Also there are project site which were in Sharepoint 2010, as we know now that there is no concept of Project Site as such how do we go about it

We are not planning to use any third party tool. 

Thanks in Advance

Shraddha

Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It contains many steps. 

1. Create your O365 subscription and tenancy. Choose the right plan for your Organisation. Assign O365 Admins and SharePoint Admins

2. Establish domain in O365

3. Migrating or Creating users:

Decide whether you will use your user store OnPremise or you will recreate users in O365. Based on the decision you need to create users or migrate users to O365 and establish Sync

4. Migrate the users to O365 before you migrate the content

5. Does your OnPremise sites has custom solutions like Farm Solutions, TimerJobs, Custom Master Pages, Page Layouts, Custom Site Definitions etc?

---> Assess them and decide what needs to be migrated

---> Based on your above decisions decide how your new site in O365 will be created

6. Check if your sites are using any Service Applications like Managed Metadata, BCS etc. 

---> if you use any of the Service Applications, plan to migrate them or recreate in O365

7. Decide how to migrate the content. Using PowerShell, Client Side Object Model or users will upload manually

This is based on my understanding on O365 and SharePoint On-Premise setups. For each steps, you need to refer multiple articles and sites. 

Few Links:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Migrate-to-SharePoint-Online-d8c6ce52-f8a2-4661-97f7-45e49351bdb9 

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK3153 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uspartner_ts2team/2014/06/17/data-migration-options-for-sharepoint-online/ 

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Thanks sivnandham for this great in-sight i think this is surely going  to help us in migration.

To give you an idea we already have setup for office 365.

but there is one thing that i am still not clear with is that

1. how can i migrate user's from SharePoint foundation 2010 (i.e local user's and AD) to office 365.

2. User management after migration, as of now it is pointing to our on-premise AD and local users.

3. From the Video what my understanding is that new API provides content migration, what about site collection, sites list migration as these needs to be created already before migration.We are targeting for Site columns, Content type List  Sub-sites etc migration, can you through some lights on this.

If we plan to migrate using the power shell how can we implement this. 

are there any source which can me with this. Again we are not planning for any third party vendor. 

Shraddha

• Edited by Shraddha_B Friday, April 28, 2017 5:19 AM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 4:26 AM
  • Can you provide below answers?

Since you already have O365 setup

1. Your users are actively using O365 already? [Not for SharePoint but for others like their Mailbox, Lync, Office components like Word, Excel etc?

2. If your answers to above question is yes, then most probably already your AD users are migrated to or sync with O365. You must start thinking of migrating SharePoint alone

3. If your answer to #1 is no, then you need to start planning migration or sync On-Prem AD users to O365 and decide whether you need migrate the mail boxes also or mail boxes will remain in On-Prem

1. You can use ADFS or DirSync 

2. If you choose ADFS, your On-Prem AD authenticates your users.

3. If you choose DirSync, still your On-Prem AD remains in place. But authentication done by O365. Your users and their default properties are Sync to O365 from On-Prem AD.

Check this. Gives some basic idea https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg675925.aspx

4. Another question, which plan of O365 you have subscribed?

I will update you about how to migrate SharePoint to O365. You need to plan below before migrations.

1. Host name for your sharepoint site. You need to retain existing host name or ok to get new host name. 

2. If you need to get your existing domain name to work, you need to work on it. 

3. You need to work on your managed path (/sites) if you have any special managed paths in your OnPrem

-Sivanandham

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi Thanks again I have cross checked the user are already created in Office 365 and we using Business Premium suite of Office 365.

Do we need to keep host name same: Not necessary, would like to get your suggestion on same what should be the best practice.

I want to migrate list, library and Pages with the webpart with same security as in sharepoint 2010?

Shraddha

• Edited by Shraddha_B Monday, May 1, 2017 4:10 AM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

I want to migrate the list, library and Site Pages with webpart and with the same security that I have in Sharepoint 2010.

Is this possible with any free tool.

Regards,

Shraddha

• Edited by Shraddha_B Monday, May 1, 2017 4:13 AM
    Monday, May 1, 2017 4:12 AM