Public folder not receiving external email as member of distribution group, emailing direct works ok though RRS feed

• Question

• I have a mail-enabled public folder that is a member of a distribution group. The distribution group membership consists of a bunch of user mailboxes and the public folder. Everything works fine for internal email; every member receives it. External email isn't behaving as expected though. External emails to the distribution group hit all the user mailboxes but never appear in the public folder. No bounce-back message is received by the sender either; it just disappears into the ether. However, if an external sender emails the public folder directly then the message is received. It is only if the external email is addressed to the distribution group that it doesn't arrive in the public folder, and yet the user mailboxes do receive it.

The distribution group is configured to allow external email. It has the 'senders inside and outside my org' checkbox ticked and no restrictions around who can send to it.

The public folder is configured to allow external email. It has the 'require authentication' checkbox unticked, and the security on it has "Anonymous" with Contributor rights to create items. The 'hide from address lists' checkbox is unticked.

Our setup is a hybrid Exchange 2013 and Exchange Online environment. Public folders and distribution groups all reside on the on-premises 2013 server.

Any ideas?

Friday, June 17, 2016 5:47 AM

All replies

• I have a mail-enabled public folder that is a member of a distribution group. The distribution group membership consists of a bunch of user mailboxes and the public folder. Everything works fine for internal email; every member receives it. External email isn't behaving as expected though. External emails to the distribution group hit all the user mailboxes but never appear in the public folder. No bounce-back message is received by the sender either; it just disappears into the ether. However, if an external sender emails the public folder directly then the message is received. It is only if the external email is addressed to the distribution group that it doesn't arrive in the public folder, and yet the user mailboxes do receive it.

The distribution group is configured to allow external email. It has the 'senders inside and outside my org' checkbox ticked and no restrictions around who can send to it.

The public folder is configured to allow external email. It has the 'require authentication' checkbox unticked, and the security on it has "Anonymous" with Contributor rights to create items. The 'hide from address lists' checkbox is unticked.

Our setup is a hybrid Exchange 2013 and Exchange Online environment. Public folders and distribution groups all reside on the on-premises 2013 server.

Any ideas?

Since you are in hybrid mode, does the mail-enabled public folder mail-user object exist in Office 365? 

Blog:    Twitter:   

Monday, July 11, 2016 11:58 AM