none
disappearing restore points

Question

• how can i prevent the restore points from disappearing on a multiboot system?    there's plenty of space for many restores, but once i exit the windows 10, upon my return the points are all gone.
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 6:18 PM

All replies

• This is a long-standing issue.  There's nothing you can do.
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 6:45 PM
  • how can i prevent the restore points from disappearing on a multiboot system?    there's plenty of space for many restores, but once i exit the windows 10, upon my return the points are all gone.

If your Win 10 is a Pro or Enterprise version, enable your bitlocker.

Bitlocker, when enabled, will make the volume of Win 10 inaccessible when you boot into another OS, and hence protects the Win 10 restore points from being deleted.

Open This PC > right click at the C drive > click turn on Bitlocker > follow the prompts .....

• Proposed as answer by S.SenguptaMVP Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:25 AM
    • Edited by david hk129 Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:07 AM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:08 PM
  • Hi,

This is a normal phenomenon with Windows Dual Boot configuration.

The Windows 10 Restore points are actually deleted by other system when you log out from Windows and boots into other system. There are some workarounds to stop this behavior. One such workaround is to use the BitLocker feature on the volume which installs Windows 10.

BitLocker is a built-in security feature in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise edition. When it is enabled on the volume on which Windows restore points are enabled, then it makes the Volume to be inaccessible for the other system when you boot into it.

There are some other workarounds of making some registry edits. But it may be risky if you are not good with computers. Here is an official kb which says about the similar issue on Windows 7 when it is configured to dual boot with an earlier Windows operating system, have a look.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185/en-us

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 6, 2017 6:15 AM