Email notifications from Approval workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have an issue with an out-of-the-box workflow; in essence it relate to the workflow author/originator NOT receiving an update once an approval or rejection has been committed.

A task list has been set up to receive *status* updates everytime an workflow action is committed whether that be initiation/approval/rejection/completion.  Everything appears to work APART from completion and the issue of an email notification to the workflow owner.

I have checked the logs on the Sharepoint box itself and appear to be fine.

I have checked the logs on the Outbound SMTP server and everything is OK upto to the point of completion.

I need some advice on what else I can do/check to verify IF the email notifications are being created by SharePoint; what in the logs within Sharepoint I can further check (diagnostic is not set to verbose - ALL) and what ELSE can be checked on IIS/Outbound SMTP server...

Any advice would be much appreciated...
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, August 10, 2009 2:54 PM ... removed from Title
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 2:03 PM

Answers

• In essence this came down to the way users were Approving or Rejecting the workflow items.

With out-of-the-box workflows it sems you MUST click Edit this task link on the email notification, to trigger the email alert service in SharePoint.

Users were clicking on an alternate link in the email notification, meaning approval/rejection could occur but NO email notifications were issued. 

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hello everyone...

I am still struggling with this...totally baffled as to why the workflow owner/originator is NOT receiving an updating ONCE an item has been approved or rejected.

Has anybody had problems with sending email alerts/notifications through Out-of-box approval workflows?

I have checked workflow settings...suppose I could force an email from Virtual Server?

I may completely re-create the workflow/task libraries...

Logs in Sharepoint (increased) and on SMTP server are showing mail is being sent out from Sharepoint...BUT I have to admit, I cannot see any related failure messages in the Sharepoint logs...

Checked Services running for Sharepoint...I have noticed the Administration service is running under Local System/Search is disabled but I cannot see that causing a problem...

Can anyone give me some guidance please?

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:51 AM
  • In essence this came down to the way users were Approving or Rejecting the workflow items.

With out-of-the-box workflows it sems you MUST click Edit this task link on the email notification, to trigger the email alert service in SharePoint.

Users were clicking on an alternate link in the email notification, meaning approval/rejection could occur but NO email notifications were issued. 

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:19 PM
  •  

Hi

New to this but I have exactly the same issues, tasks are created but no email notifications are sent out.  Not sure where I need to be checking for "edit this task".

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:25 PM
  • My SharePoint administrator is having the same issue.  We are not getting email notifications sent out for anything - alerts or workflows.  He can't seem to figure out what the problem is.  On workflows, the initiator gets an email that the workflow has been started and when it is completed but the approvers aren't getting notified at all.  We are having to manually send out emails to the approvers when a new workflow is created.  This is very frustrating...

Friday, July 24, 2009 10:16 PM
  • We get the same problem here. The Initiator gets a mail and we can see this in the mailsweeper logs but no other emails are sent.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Each user needs to set up an alert with in the workflow task list. Select Actions, Alert Me, scroll to Send Alerts for these changes, and then select the A Task becomes completed. This will send an emal stating the assigned task has been completed.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Hi all,

I am having same problem like this.

My scenario is like requestor will initiate the workflow by creating new item in list, after that it will send Email notification to approvers. Then approver will Approve/reject and notification will send to Requestor saying Your request appoved/Rejected.

Here is the problem: I am able to send mails to approver for approval process, but after approver approves it the requestor is not getting any email for the status. i have used the Built in approval workflow.

Any suggestions will be greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Friday, April 2, 2010 4:35 AM
  • anybody has the answer??

• Proposed as answer by Chesel77 Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 29, 2011 7:11 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Solution:

1.     From the workflow settings page, I selected "New Task List" for the Tasks and History options.  This created new the new Task and History list and associated them with the workflow.  I then opened the new task list and then verified that the "Send Email" option was enabled on the new Task List.  Settings -> List Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Email Notification.

2.     Please create a new Task list when using default approval workflow, using existing “Workflow Task” list, email notification will not be send out.  If you are using existing workflow task list, on this list setting >  advanced setting > Send e-mail when ownership is assigned ? change it to NO and wait for 5 minutes then change it back to YES then you will be able to see those email notification. The other alternative is DO NOT USE the default “Workflow Tasks”, create a new “Tasks” list

3.     In Central Administration> Operations> Outging E-Mail Settings, verified that the Outbound SMTP server address is set correctly

4.     In Central Administration> Application Management> Workflow Settings, verified in User-Defined Workflows option that the "Enable user-defined workflows for the this site?" is set to YES. Also verified that the Workflow Task Notifications option; "Alert internal users who do not have site access when they are assigned a workflow task?" is set to YES.

5.     Try to reconfigure this task. You edit the workflow: Settings->List Settings->Workflow Settings. From the workflow settings page, select “New Task List” for the Tasks and History options. This create new, the New Task and History list and associated them with the workflow. I then opened the new task list and then verified that the “Send Email” option was enabled on the Task List. Settings->List Settings->Advanced Settings->Email Notifications->”Yes”. Run your test ans start to receive them.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:43 PM