Skype Online - Enable Archiving to Exchange Online Mailboxes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone:

In my environment, although technically we are a hybrid Exchange environment, all user mailboxes are in Exchange Online and we have a pure O365 Skype for Business deployment. How do I go about enabling Skype for Business conversation archiving to my users' Exchange Online mailboxes?

In my previous company, I configured and managed a purely on-premise Exchange 2013 and Skype for Business 2015 Enterprise deployment. Once I configured Skype for Business integration with Exchange 2013, I was able to take a user that I wanted to turn Skype conversation archiving on for and do a Set-CsUser username -ExchangeArchivingPolicy ArchivingToExchange and it would start placing the conversation histories in the users' Purges folder in their mailboxes. (We didn't have the space to turn on any sort of hold on the mailboxes so I had to just enable the Skype archiving separately)

Here's my issue. When I connect to Skype for Business Online powershell and run

Get-CsOnlineUser USERNAME | Set-CsUser -ExchangeArchivingPolicy archivingtoexchange

I get 

Unable to set "ExchangeArchivingPolicy". This parameter is restricted within Remote Tenant PowerShell.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-CsUser], ManagementException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExchangeArchivingPolicy,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.AD.Cmdlets.SetOcsUserCmdlet
        + PSComputerName        : admin1a.online.lync.com

This sounds like this command is restricted in Office 365 and I cannot configure archiving this way. But there must be a way to turn archiving on for Exchange Online + Skype Online. I seem to remember reading a while back that Skype Online will follow your mailbox's hold settings (If you have In-Place Hold enabled, Skype knows to Archive conversations to it automatically from what I remember reading).

Is this correct? And if this is correct, will this also work with litigation hold or does it have to be an in-Place hold? We have been considering turning litigation hold on for all users across the board so this would be the most convenient method. If it has to be an in-place hold, how do I have to set the hold up to get Skype to recognize it?

Thanks ahead of time everyone

Friday, July 7, 2017 4:30 PM

All replies

• To my knowledge, when your environment is ExO and SfBO, archiving options are limited. i.e. You cannot archive to Lync/Skype for Business or Exchange On-Prem, to go further you cannot disabling archiving either.

It may rather be prudent to configure in-place hold options in ExO to ensure data is retained.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, July 10, 2017 7:45 AM
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 4:47 AM
  • That's what I was thinking, thank you. Additionally, can you tell me if litigation hold will trigger the archiving process or does it specifically have to be an in-place hold?

I suppose in a round about way either one would theoretically hold on to the conversation data since a user deleting something from "conversation history" would still cause the data to be placed in the Purges folder, but I would like this to be more streamlined and for Skype to actually recognize this as Archiving being "enabled". Will Litigation hold accomplish this?

Monday, July 10, 2017 11:30 AM