none
Access file servers with Windows 10 RS3 (1709) machines - Protocol SMB1 disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 RS3 (1709) desktops have problems to access share files.

The following error is reported:
    You can not connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
    Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

The error is only reporting when the user try to access the file server of another office.
    Example: user allocated in SPO tries to access the file server of RDJ.

When I try to access a server from the same office, the SMB2 protocol is being used.

When I try to access a server from another office, the SMB1 protocol is being used.

We checked the routers and the network equipment, but we could not identify the causes.

If the SMB1 protocol is enabled on the local machine, the accesses return to normal operation.

Any ideas or alternatives to identify where the problem is?

Tks!
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Marcos, 

Did you enabled SMB 1 on this Windows 10 1709 device?

Does the issue occur when you access a same share folder? What's the system version on shared folder located computer?

Since Windows 10 1709, SMB 1 is not installed on system by default. If we want to use it, we should enable it manually. Please go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows Features on or off\Check if SMB 1.0 ticked or not. Make sure it is not ticked. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 19, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Hi Joy!

When I enable the SMB1 protocol the accesses return to normal operation.

My system version on share folder located is Windows Server 2012 R2.  This server accepted SMB1 and SMB2 protocol.

The problem is that this protocol will be discontinued by Microsoft and since SMB2 is enabled on both clients (Host / Server), we do not understand why it is not being used.

We verify our network equipment and routers, through the analysis they support the SMB2 protocol.

Do you have any idea of monitoring that we could to identify where the problem is?

Tks!!
    Friday, October 19, 2018 6:27 PM
  • Good Morning!
    The problem has been fixed. The problem was with the Riberbed network equipment, which was blocking the SMB2 protocols.
    Thank you!
    Friday, October 26, 2018 12:52 PM
  • Hi Marcos,

Thank you for kindly update the issue, it would be useful for others.

Please mark the useful reply as an answer if it helpful for you.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:34 AM