How to push new FCS signature RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following settings:
    The forefront signature are automatic approval.
    The windows update service of the clients are scheduled to download and install every wednesday.

How can I push immediately a new forefront update to all clients in the case of a virus outbreak?

Assumed only the new pattern can detect the virus. I don't see any option in WSUS.

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Interesting idea, there is no obvious way like there is in some products to do this

A few things I can think of -

1. If you have some kind of client management tool like SMS, you could push out a forced "wuauclt /detectnow" to force the clients to checkin to WSUS

2. Force FCS to carry out a Quick Scan from the FCS Management Console. The default behaviour is to check for a definition update prior to carrying out a scan triggered from the console, and therefore by triggering this on all clients, it would force a definition update check, and carry out a quick scan, which wouldn't be too impacting to the users

Hope this helps

cheers

Chris

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:55 PM
  • allthough I liked chris's creative idea, MS still provides best practice which is to make the client check against the WSUS server at least once a day (the default by the way is 22 hours).

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:46 PM
  •  

Hi goldfinger! :-)

If you use the "Scan now" button placed in the upper right corner on the FCS main console, your clients will connect to the WSUS server to check for new def. updates and download them before running a scan of your choice.

hope you never have to use it! :-)

/Johan

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:19 PM