Retention Policy Not Working as Expected? RRS feed

• Question

• We are on Exchange 2010 SP3 rollup 17.

We don't currently enforce any email retention policies but are planning to implement a policy on the Deleted Items folder. For testing I have created a Deleted Items Retention Policy Tag. It is configured to permanently delete items after a 2 day age limit.

Several days ago I added the tag to a policy and applied the policy to my mailbox. The policy and tag appear to be configured correctly because, when I select an item in the Deleted Items folder, the retention policy tag is displayed along with the Expiration Date. However, none of the items in the Deleted Items folder are being removed. The items in the folder that are older than 2 days show "Expired".

The event logs indicate the Managed Folder Assistant is running daily and it processes about 2/3 of the mailboxes in our organization each day.

I have verified the following are not enabled:

LitigationHoldEnabled
    SingleItemRecoveryEnabled
    RetentionHoldEnabled

I have reviewed the docs to configure retention policies several times but haven't been able to identify the problem. Any ideas what I may have missed?

• Edited by SilverNickel56 Wednesday, February 5, 2020 5:44 PM Include hold items status
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi SilverNickel56,

I suggest you try to apply the retention policy to other mailbox and check if it can delete the expired items. If it doesn't work, please try to re-create a retention tag. If it can work on other mailbox, it may be problem of the mailbox.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SilverNickel56 Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi SilverNickel56,

I'd recommend you to run the following command to check first.

Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity <mailbox name>

If the issue persists, it seems you have enabled archive policy at the same time. Please check the retention policy assigned to the mailbox to see if any archive tags exists.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 6, 2020 10:31 AM
  • Beverly,

Thank you for your response

I have ran the Start-ManagedFolderAssistant cmdlet against my mailbox and items in the Deleted Items folder are tagged with an expiration date. Additionally, without me manually running the cmdlet, items I deleted yesterday are tagged with the expected expiration date so it appears that the Managed Folder Assistant is running and tagging items as expected. As far as I can tell the retention policy is working as expected except that Items aren't being deleted.

The event log reports the Managed Folder Assistant is running daily. Occasionally a mailbox is skipped but no task errors are being reported.

Is there anything else I can check to troubleshoot this issue?

Friday, February 7, 2020 3:20 PM
  • Hi SilverNickel56,

I suggest you try to apply the retention policy to other mailbox and check if it can delete the expired items. If it doesn't work, please try to re-create a retention tag. If it can work on other mailbox, it may be problem of the mailbox.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

• Marked as answer by SilverNickel56 Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:42 AM
  • I've assigned the policy to a couple of test mailboxes. I'll check them in a couple of days and see if messages are removed from the Deleted Items folder.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:20 PM
  • The test on a different test mailbox was successful so it appears the problem was just an issue with that mailbox. Thank you for your assistance.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:52 PM
  • One thing now that you got that fixed, can you update Exchange to a current build?  You are missing multiple Exchange security fixes. 

We are on Exchange 2010 SP3 rollup 17.  

That is VERY outdated.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 8:31 AM
  • We are planning to move off of Exchange 2010. We are evaluating whether we should move to on-premise Exchange 2016 or Office 365.

Can we perform a migration to either from our current build or should we update to a current build first?

Thanks for your input.
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:39 PM