none
Auto press enter key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm looking for a piece of script that simply press "enter key" so that I can upgrade a software (via a script) in unattended way?

In fact, to apply patch to my software, I must:

1) run the patch upgrade (from inside the script)

2) press four times the "enter key" to apply the patch

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:14 AM

Answers

• Mostly this is not possible.

To install a patch file you need to look at teh vendors documentation. 

For example.  Most Microsoft paych files support a /q argument that supresses any output or prompts.  Other vendors usually so teh same thing.

This is true for MSI, MSP and MS KB patches (exe)

In some cases you may need to supply certain extra arguments such as a path on teh command line.

TO see if you patch has an unattended mode type teh patch name and a /? - if it supports options then they will be listed.

jv
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:43 AM

All replies

• The principal script is a batch (.bat) file.

But, if it si necessay, I can call a script in a different lenguage (.vbs, .js, ...) from inside the batch file.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Mostly this is not possible.

To install a patch file you need to look at teh vendors documentation. 

For example.  Most Microsoft paych files support a /q argument that supresses any output or prompts.  Other vendors usually so teh same thing.

This is true for MSI, MSP and MS KB patches (exe)

In some cases you may need to supply certain extra arguments such as a path on teh command line.

TO see if you patch has an unattended mode type teh patch name and a /? - if it supports options then they will be listed.

jv
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:43 AM
  • BigTeddy - I don't think you are reading teh question correctly.

I'm looking for a piece of script that simply press "enter key"

This usually means teh the user wants a script that will insert an enter key into a command prompt query for options.

See my answer above for how we do this.

jv
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hi jrv,

You are quite right.  I read it as "I'm looking for a piece of script that simply says press "enter key"

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Hi jrv,

You are quite right.  I read it as "I'm looking for a piece of script that simply says press "enter key"

Sorry but I didn't want the user to get confused as it is clear he knows nothing about scripts, batch files or the like. 

The question is one that only trained admins would likely know the answer to otr many developers.  Most users ask this question when they first think of automation.  It always seems that the only way to do anything is the way humans do it.  In this case that problem was solved by the desigers of Windows several decades ago.

jv
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:58 AM