Unable to "Upload Multiple Pictures" to a Picture Library RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am unable to use the "Upload Multiple Pictures" option in a Picture Library.

When I try to use this option, it says that "If you have not finished uploading the pictures, switch to the picture editor and finish uploading. When you have finished, close the picture editor, and click the link below. " (the link is pointing to the picture Library).

Also, "Open in Windows Explorer" option from Actions menu is not working.

I have Office 2010 installed on the server, and I can successfully open the Office Picture Manager from within Office Tools.

I have found a few references to the same problem, but as yet no solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/d429dfbf-885c-4230-8adf-e90b865e32ae

The same issue occurs on my test server, and my production server, its not an isolated case.

Regards,

Justin

Friday, February 4, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all your help.

I dont see how checking the Active X can help with this issue.

Already re-installed Office 2010, on the server.

As a work around I can copy the Pictures using the Windows Explorer mode, this isnt ideal but I can manage until someone finds a solution.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:44 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Justin,

this issue is only with a specific picture lib or all picture libraries are affected ?

Is it on server or on client machine ?

Is there any alternate access mapping configured for the site ?

Please check web client service is enabled and running on machine for "Open in Windows Explorer " issue.

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    • Edited by Pratik Vyas Friday, February 4, 2011 2:40 PM add
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:39 PM
  • I only have one picture library, but I have just created a second picture library as a test, and the same issue occurs.

The same issue occurs on both the server, and when using a client.

Both the server and the client have Office 2010 installed, and therefore both have the Office Picture Manager installed.

Please ignore the "Open with Windows Explorer" problem, you are correct the webclient service is needed, this isnt installed on the server, but is on my Win 7 client, and "Open with Windows Explorer" works on that.

Friday, February 4, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Also, we are not using alternative access mapping.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:49 PM
  • hi,

and what if you click on "Go back to Picture Library" option.

Does it show you all pictures you have selected to upload to Pic library ?

Because this is default behavior of picture library when you upload multiple files.

If it shows all files uploaded to pic library it works fine.

and when you click on upload multiple pictures it opens MS office picture manager, right ?

this is normal behavior.

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:58 PM
  • If I select "Go back to Picture Library" it does exactly that, it takes me back to the library.

I am not able to select any photos to upload, this is my problem, the office picture manager does not run.

How you describe it is how it should work, I know that, but that doesnt happen to me.

If I click Upload "Multiple File", I get the page which says "If you have not finished uploading the pictures, switch to the picture editor and finish uploading. When you have finished, close the picture editor, and click the link below. "  But nothing else happens.  The office picture manager doesnt run.

Friday, February 4, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi

Sorry if i don't understand it correctly.

this is something i found on technet for MOSS 2007

you can at least try it once for SP 2010

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointadmin/thread/6751abaf-c69a-49e8-b265-89d5fca46a8d

and they have suggested to check Active X controls installed by SharePoint server.

Please refer

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2007/03/26/searching-the-visible-moss-2007-code-for-activex-references.aspx

but as per moderator reinstall of office resolve this , so you can try that as well

Friday, February 4, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for all your help.

I dont see how checking the Active X can help with this issue.

Already re-installed Office 2010, on the server.

As a work around I can copy the Pictures using the Windows Explorer mode, this isnt ideal but I can manage until someone finds a solution.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:44 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 3:29 PM
  • I have this same issues on My SharePoint 2007/Office 2007 installation.

I tried repairing both Office and Picture Manager with no result but found this workaround:

1. Go to Upload Document

2. Then right click on the Upload Multiple Files... link and Select Open

3. Voila

Conversely, if I just click on the link it just goes to the dreaded Images: Uploading Pictures screen with:

If you have not finished uploading the pictures, switch to the picture editor and finish uploading. When you have finished, close the picture editor, and click the link below.

Let me know if this works for you too.

:) Patrick

• Edited by Patrick Schutte Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:16 PM fixed typos
    • Proposed as answer by BrDaHa Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:47 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I am also having this problem.  If I perform the right click action, all is good as far as getting the items uploaded.  Still the browser will not launch Picture manager.  I have turned off the firewall and uac.... Did the repair....

anyone have any ideas on how to get to work?  It works fine on Windows 7 with Office 2007 and Win 7 Office 2010.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I have the same problem in uploading multiple images into picture library, I tried your workaround but that also not working for me. it got picture uploading failed.

In my site alternate access mapping is done. will it be a root cause?

Thanks & Regards,

AUC

AUC
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Patrick's workaround worked for me to fix this same issue.
    Andre Galitsky, MCTS, Washington, DC -- My SharePoint Blog: http://www.sharepointnomad.com
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Hi!

We had the same issue, although not sure about "Open in Windows Explorer". We didn't find a real solution or found out the exact root-cause, but in our case the workaround was to open IE InPrivate mode once, click the "Upload Multiple Pics". Afterwards it was working InPrivate mode and in standard mode as well.

Cheers, Michael

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Hi Patrik,

Any work around for IE11 and sharepoint 2010? 

I have add on enabled but couldn't resolve this issue.

Cheers

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:14 AM