Speech Recognition Problems on Windows XP 3 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have Windows XP 3 Professional. Was working fine until the system crashed due to viruses. Upon getting it fixed, everything works fine except the text-to-speech function of pdf reader or ultrahal text to speech reader. 

The symptoms are that speech appears to get distorted or way down slow to minus speed in case of speech being played on a pdf reader or ultrahal text-to-speech reader. I uninstalled ultrahal and reinstalled it, still the same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled adobe reader, still the same problem. Was working fine with earlier versions of adobe until 7 or 8, but it seems automatic updates have changed that. Now, on adobe 10, there is no sound, probably this problem is with others as seen on other forums, But on adobe 9, the problem is same, if I change speed or voice type, it crashes, if I keep on default values, it gives speech, but every few minutes, the sound distorts to too slow minus speed, then back to normal speed, and then again distorts, sometimes the distortion lasts too long, making it useless to listen to the reader for reading text documents. However, the problem may not be only of the reader, but of the system, since this same speech distortion and dead slow minus speed problem occurs on ultrahal rendering ultrahal speed scrollbar useless., The sound distortion makes it a real problem as it becomes useless. 

The fault diagnosis progressed to control panel, sounds, speech and audio devices, then the first option realtek hd sound effect manager is all ok, the second option sounds and audio devices is also ok. However, the third option Speech gives a problem, when clicking on it, instead of giving the usual inner text to speech speed adjustment bar, an error pops up on an inner tab window screen: 

The error says: 

"C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mircorsoft Shared\Speech\sapi.cpi". Speech".

Wonder if any of you techie brains and experts out there can figure out this error and link it with the aforementioned speech distortion problem and then specify how exactly to rectify it. Any suggestions welcome. 

Alternatively, a techie will have to be called in which will cost time and bleed money. 

Hope some techie brains out there can help on this one on line. 

Thanks for your time and best wishes and regards, 

Awaiting your response, 

Disptec

Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:01 AM

All replies

• i am not sure about the ultrahal, i would suggest you to reinstall the audio drivers and also run the command sfc/SCANNOW to check if any OS files are altered.
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:59 PM