none
Windows Update Error Code 80072EFE - computer will not run tdsskiller.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the error code 80072EFE when trying to update.  Windows Defender will not run as well.  I've tried downloading & running the tdsskiller.exe link to repair the problem, as so many others have successfully done, however it goes no further than clicking run, watching it download & then I get another error.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?  Thanks.

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Friday, April 22, 2011 5:43 PM Is a question
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to force the DNS:

1. Click the Start Button, type "network and sharing center" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
    2. Click Manage Network Connections in the left pane.
    3. Right-click on the network Connection and select Properties
    4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
    5. In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, Select Use the following DNS server address.

6. Type as below

Set the Preferred DNS as: 4.2.2.1

The Alternate DNS is: 4.2.2.2

7. Click OK for each window.

Restart the computer and check if we can perform update now.

Meanwhile, please make sure the system is free from virus by performing full disk scan.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:00 AM
  • I use Windows-XP.  I can't follow this procedure because my Start button does not give an option to type "network and sharing center."  It only lets me type the name of a file to search for. When I searched for a file containing the words "network and sharing center," the PC found no such file, as expected.   What is the procedure for forcing DNS with Windows-XP?  Thanks
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Carey, was your last comment meant to address my problem - Name6666?  If so, I don't see the relevance.  I'm still waiting for a suggestion for how to run tdsskiller.exe.  I can't get it to go past 80% in either Safe Mode Networking or in normal Windows Operation.  In both cases, I tried to execute a file tdsskiller.exe and a copy of that file named randomtdsskiller.exe.  If I try this on my laptop, which uses Vista, the files execute, so the difficulty is related to my desktop using Windows XP.  But as I wrote originally, I cannot use Magon's recommended procedure because I don't have those options from my Start button.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry in the Windows Update Forum. Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:08 PM