OCS 2007 Archiving database installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to install Archiving server in a colocated architecture. I have a SQL cluster running which already hosts OCS databases. I want to install archiving database also on the SQL server. when i trying to install it from the Archiving server, on the "location for database files" page I receive an error saying "Database installation path must be a valid local path".

Any clues.

Cheers!

Ashish

Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:59 PM

All replies

• Does the user installing the archiving role and database have administrator rights on the SQL Cluster? 

Also, do the SQL servers have a firewall enabled on them?  If so, the following ports need to be opened:

TCP/49154, TCP/135, TCP/445, TCP/49010, TCP/49191, UDP/137

Mark

Mark King | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Thanks Mark,

I was able to get pass through the error, but the Archiving Server setup finishes with an error "Failure [0xC3EC7841] Failed to execute DB batch file." Error executing batch dbcommon.sql on LcsLog.

To verify the installation of DB i checked the SQL server and found the lcslog database created but says (Restricted user) on the database. I tried running the dbcommon.sql on the sql server which gives me the error below.

Msg 2714, Level 16, State 3, Procedure MakeErrorMessageText, Line 6

There is already an object named 'MakeErrorMessageText' in the database.

Msg 2714, Level 16, State 3, Procedure DbInsertErrorMessage, Line 10

There is already an object named 'DbInsertErrorMessage' in the database.

But the restricted user thingi is still there.

Regards,

Ashish

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:50 AM
  • The user you are installing this as has sysadmin on the sql instance, correct?  You can rerun the Archiving server setup and it will recreate the LcsLog database. 
    Mark King | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Thanks Mark for the reply. I used the administrator account for installation. i also tried reinstalling. but the same error.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Is the domain administrator a sysadmin on the SQL instance?  Have you tried to drop the database before reinstalling the role?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:02 PM
  • no i have not tried droping the database before reinstalling the role. wats steps should i follow to do that?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Hi Ashish,

What version do you use. If you are using the sql2008, please confirm you update the below KB:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960484
    You could use the same backend database sever with others, you could refer to below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425201(office.13).aspx

Regards!
    gavin

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the reply. I installed the update 960484 on the Archiving server and tried to run the setup again but same issue. I have a SQL 2008 running on windows 2008 R2 cluster. The SQL server is updated so wouldnt find any resource to be updated when runing cummulative update as per your link.

It works very well with SQL 2005 but dont know whats wrong with SQL 2008 it doesnt execute the dbcommon.sql file properly.

Any other clues.

Regards,

Ashish

Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hi All,

Has anybody tried installing archiving database manually on the dedicated SQL 2008 cluster or even SQL 2005 cluster. When i try to run the rtclogdbsetup.wsf file using Cscript on the SQL cluster it gives me error as below.

Connecting to SQL Server on SQLCL1-N2
    Error connecting (
      name:        Error
      description:
      number:      -2147467259
    Attempting to start SQL Server and connect...
    Error starting SQL Server on SQLCL1-N2
    Error (
      name:        Error
      description: [SQL-DMO]Service Control Error:  An instance of the service is al
    ready running.

number:      -2146827232
      message:     [SQL-DMO]Service Control Error:  An instance of the service is al
    ready running.

Any suggestions

Regards,

Ashish

Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Hi Ashish, 

How did you pass through the error?  I'm getting the same message: "Database installation path must be a valid local path"

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:51 PM