Is this a secure approach? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've got a cube that contains the data of multiple organizations within a consotium.

In order to restrict my reports so that an organization only sees its own data and NOT the data of other orgaizations within the consortium, I'm planning on

• developing my reports for each organization with the Org dimension set as a background dimension
    • set the background dimension to the organization in question
    • when I include the reports within the dashboard i will NOT include a filter for this dimension.

By my logic, this should mean that when users from the organization access their reports through their sharepoint portal, they will only be able to see their own data and not anybody else's.

Is this a fair interpretation?

Thanks in advance.

Jake.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:39 PM

Answers

• Secure? Yes. Labour intensive? Absolutely.

Jake, it sounds like you're going to be duplicating each report which is going to get painful when the report defs change. I would look towards implementing some dynamic security in the source databases. This will alleviate the need to set the background dimension in each report.

The dynamic dimension security area of post may assist you a bit: http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com/2008/01/pps-data-connection-security-with.html

Cheers,
    Nick

Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• Secure? Yes. Labour intensive? Absolutely.

Jake, it sounds like you're going to be duplicating each report which is going to get painful when the report defs change. I would look towards implementing some dynamic security in the source databases. This will alleviate the need to set the background dimension in each report.

The dynamic dimension security area of post may assist you a bit: http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com/2008/01/pps-data-connection-security-with.html

Cheers,
    Nick

Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:44 PM
  •  

Thanks Nick.

That is hugely valuable information. I will read it over the next few days to try and determine what is the best solution.

My only concern is that some of the cubes are quite large and the performance impact of dynamic dimension security might be too great.

Jake

Friday, December 5, 2008 1:20 PM