Moving from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 - Design Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an old SCCM 2007 infrastructure that we haven't maintained in the last 3 years and was used rarely only form 2-3 queries once in a while.

Now I'd like to install the SCCM 2012 and use its full features.

I've read about moving from 2007 to 2012 and have a few design questions / conflicts.

The current configuration:

One server hosting the SCCM 2007 and SCOM 2007 with 8GB of RAM.

About 500 Workstations and 160 Servers (Windows 2000 - Windows 2008 R2).

Domain 2008 R2 with 2003 functionality level.

Several subnets (Vlans) that are flat.

One main site with two little sites connected via a reliable WAN connection.

Desired configuration:

Supporting all our current clients and up to 1000 clients.

Using the following roles - MP, DP, Reporting, state migration, software update, health validator, fallback status, out of band, asset intelligence.

Maybe supporting our DR site (Now in construction) that will host virtual servers.

My Questions / Considerations:

* I'd like to preserve my current Site Code but I've seen it's impossible - no work around ?

* I intend of installing the system from scratch instead of a migration, should I uninstall clients ? uninstall the old SSCM 2007 server ?

* According to my site size, can I use a virtual server or it's the best practice to relay on a physical sever ?

* According to my site size, is it OK to install the site database on the same server as the site system/component server/MP. 

* According to my site size, is it OK to have all roles on one powerful server ? if not - to how many servers it's advised to split my infrastructure ? (I prefer the minimum).

* Configure my site as Central Administration Site or just as a Primary stand alone ? is this consideration should be other in the future if I want to manage my DR site ? (Is DR site that contains only virtual servers need to be controlled by SCCM ? or a SCOM for that is enough ?)

Thank you everyone for the support in this design.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:14 AM

Answers

• You cannot use the same sitecode if you are migrating objects from CM07 to CM12. The only "workaround": shutdown CM07 and start CM12 from scratch without migrating objects. It's recommended to use a new site code even in that scenario. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier. Clients do not have to be uninstalled: the CM12 client will upgrade (uninstall/reinstall) the CM07 one. You can place the database and all roles on the same server given that it's powerful enough (RAM, CPU and the disk subsystem!). No need for a CAS! Just use a standalone primary.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:26 AM