none
"A device attached to the system is not functioning" If trying to login with a domain user who does not have admin rights

Question

• I am experiencing issues with my small domain setup. Windows Server 2012 R2 and windows 10 PRO domain attached PC's

Any users who are not a member of the Administrators group cannot login with their domain account (A device attached to the system is not functioning.) or access their file shares (invalid folder) even if they have been granted access to the file-shares.

However if I add them to the administrators group everything works fine with no issues.

I have not made any changes to group policy recently and have no idea what has changed to stop regular users from being able to do anything.

It is strange because there is nothing wrong with devices attached to the PC and the folders are definitely valid. It is all dependent on which account is trying to access.

Please let me know if you need further info.

-Lawrence

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:09 AM

Answers

• Hello Anil,

The OS I am using (Windows server 2012 R2) Is not compatible with this setting, it recommends changing group policy settings, however I haven't edited the group policy settings for months and have no idea why this is an issue now.

• Marked as answer by ultimalozza Monday, April 18, 2016 11:40 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hi ultimalozza,

Based on your description, I noticed the error message. This error message may be caused by several reasons.

(1)     it is switched off, or connected improperly; (2) the floppy disk and drive types are incompatible; (3) the floppy disk is not properly inserted in the drive; (4) the drive door is open; or (5) the floppy disk is not properly formatted.

Refer to the link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms837516

Please logon with local administrator, check if any third party software is installed.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 18, 2016 2:08 PM
  • hi ultimalozza,

please check rights assigned to the Group(users)

unfortunately i don't have server, this is good for win 7 ultimate

1) mmc -> Security settings ->Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment -> Add workstations to domain -> Add user or group

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Anil Eapen Monday, April 18, 2016 4:41 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Hello Anil,

The OS I am using (Windows server 2012 R2) Is not compatible with this setting, it recommends changing group policy settings, however I haven't edited the group policy settings for months and have no idea why this is an issue now.

• Marked as answer by ultimalozza Monday, April 18, 2016 11:40 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:59 PM
  • I have dug out these settings in the GPMC and it has resolved the issue, thanks!!
    Monday, April 18, 2016 11:40 PM