none
Virtual Machine could not be started because hypervisor is not running.

Question

• I have windows 10 on my laptop. I have hyper-v on it and had created few virtual machines and have worked on it couple of months ago.

Now when i try to start the vm today, i get the "Virtual Machine could not be started because hypervisor is not running".

Only thing i changed was, i changed the power options (sleep/hibernate) last week. 

I did some research in this forum. The services window shows that "Hyper-V virtual machine management " is running.

When i did net start hvboot, i get error saying "The service name is invalid". 

Pls help

Friday, April 28, 2017 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

First , please check the hardware requirements and configuration for hyper-v .

In addition , please run the following command then restart the hyper-v server :

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype Auto

Hope it is helpful to  you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Hi Swamitj,

Did you check the virtualization settings in BIOS? Make sure is is turned on. 

Also turn on hyper-v hypervisor feature from control panel.

Thank you,

Karim

Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:44 PM
  • I tried both BCedit and the control panel, as suggested by both of you. However when i tried the control panel enable, it was grayed out, so i was not able to enable it.

I went back to the BIOS and intel virtualization was disabled. I dont know how it happened. Probably a bios update?. Because i had explicitly enabled it and was using my hyper-v until it stopped working. Anyhow, i enabled it, and it is working now!

Monday, May 1, 2017 12:17 PM
  • Thanks for the help!
    Monday, May 1, 2017 12:18 PM
  • I am glad you resolved it. Please mark it as propose answer.

Thank you,

Karim

Monday, May 1, 2017 12:39 PM