none
Address Rewriting doesn't appear to work?

All replies

• When you configure outbound-only address rewriting (by setting the OutboundOnly parameter to the value $true), you need to configure proxy addresses on the affected recipients. This allows mail that is sent to the rewritten address to be delivered correctly.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:20 PM
  • does this need to be done for all users in the domain if we are looking to rewrite all users?

We have a requirement to send all email from our new domain name as of the 1st Feb, however some companies we work with require that we send using the old SMTP domain so we were going to have 2 edge servers, and send connectors routing email out to each one depending on the destination and only one would rewrite the address if required.

hope that makes sense.

Mike

.: Lister :.

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:25 PM
  • If you have only one internal domain you can do bidirectional address rewriting. Or you can add proxy address for every user.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:43 PM
  • will adding a proxy address allow the users to send and receive using the newdomain as per the email recipient policy that we are planning on changing. But if it meets a more specific send connector gets routed to a different edge server, gets the address rewrite applied and then passed over to our external customers?

Mike

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

If you don't add the proxy address to effected users, messages sent to the rewritten address will not be delivered correctly(Can send messages with rewritten address but cannot receive message with rewritten address). You can use script to do this for all effected mailbox or use email address policy with accepted domain.

For another requirement, we cannot configure send connector to route message to specific edge server.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:58 AM
  • I've been able to route email based on domain names to different smart hosts using send connectors, this way we can route our HR email over a VPN to our provider and all other traffic through to Office 365 destined for outbound.

I thought if a mailbox had 2 smtp addresses mike@domain.co.uk and mike@newdomain.co.uk (primary) when the email was replied exchange would look up the address and find the mailbox without a proxy address?

As I only have one domain sartaychik suggested that I can use bidirectional address rewriting, is that instead of Proxy addresses?

I have enabled it on the edge server and checked the logs and I cant see anything that suggests that the transport agent is processing the email. I even restarted the server to see if it picks it up.  

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:05 AM