none
Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

My organization is standing up Project Server 2013 and they're having non-tech, business analysts do the install.  It's been over 6 months and I wanted to see everyone's thoughts on how feasible this is.  Personally, I'd get multiple groups involved; security, applications, EA, networks..Anyone who has anything to help, rather than business analysts with little technical background..

In a nutshell, the people who are charged with this effort don't even know what SQL, OLAP or latency is?  So, thoughts?  Can this be done?

Thanks.

Loreal

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:41 PM

Answers

• It is not feasible.  That is like saying you need to build the engine for your car without using trained mechanics but you are going to have some folks that really understand how to drive on highways to build it.  You need somebody that knows how to install Project Server.  And, you need somebody to understand how you are going to use it.  Installation is one thing but configuration is another and they are both critical.  

The fact that you say it has taken six months is a sign this is not working out.  Understanding scope and configuration is where your time should be spent and that can vary but definitely should not take that long.  The actual installation can take anywhere from one day to a couple weeks (depending on account setup, security, farm size, etc. etc.)

If you are interested in getting help, let me know. 

Collin

Friday, November 18, 2016 7:39 PM

All replies

• It is not feasible.  That is like saying you need to build the engine for your car without using trained mechanics but you are going to have some folks that really understand how to drive on highways to build it.  You need somebody that knows how to install Project Server.  And, you need somebody to understand how you are going to use it.  Installation is one thing but configuration is another and they are both critical.  

The fact that you say it has taken six months is a sign this is not working out.  Understanding scope and configuration is where your time should be spent and that can vary but definitely should not take that long.  The actual installation can take anywhere from one day to a couple weeks (depending on account setup, security, farm size, etc. etc.)

If you are interested in getting help, let me know. 

Collin

Friday, November 18, 2016 7:39 PM
  • Thanks Collin.  I feel the same way; I guess I just wanted affirmation.  I've been doing various application projects for over 20 years and never once have I had a non technical group try to stand up an effort like this.

Normally, I take this approach:

1.  Understand project
    2.  ID SME's (Apps, Security, Networks, Security, EA, SW, HW, as well as actual end users)
    3.  Gather the SME's for a requirements or brainstorming session to insure everything is covered
    4.  Build out the WBS
    5.  ID Contingencies
    6.  Insure Risk/Issue, Change, etc. logs are in place
    7.  Manage the effort through to implementation and training

However, my PMP boss has different ideas and luckily I'm not a lead or really responsible for this effort, so I can just sit back and watch.  Thanks again.

Friday, November 18, 2016 7:54 PM