word 2010 does not save maths-type characters RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing many equations using sybols and characters, particularly the "curly x", from the drop-down Symbols/Equations Tab, but Word does not always save these characters because they have "disappeared" when I next re-open the file.   When I save to the hard drive the message "saving.....document" appears at the bottom right hand side of the task bar and there is also a red disc with a cross  in it, but when reopening the file some characters are not there.   I have also saved to an external USB drive and the same thing happens.  I am using Win 7 and Word 2010 on a fairly new laptop.   Anybody got any recommendations for which font to use for algebra?

Moriarty47
    • Moved by Sally Tang Monday, February 14, 2011 5:57 AM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:25 PM

All replies

• I searched the Equation/Symbols and did not find the "curly x" you mentioned.  Could you hover over the symbol and specify the name?

Are you saving the file as a .doc file?  .doc file format uses a different equation editor method and would turn the equation into an image if that were the case.

Another possibility is the type of font you are using may not be compatible.  Which font are you using?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian Microsoft Online Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, February 18, 2011 4:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Moriarty47 Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Adrian, sorry for late response.

I am using Word 2010 with Arial as language font and Cambria Maths for algebraic symbols.  Files are saved as .docx

The 'curly x' is found under Equations/Symbols and then Scripts, I use both x and y in lower case which I save to hard drive and copy to USB key. These x & y symbols are not always in my document when I reopen the file.

Thanks,

David.

Moriarty47
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:09 AM