"SMSSLP" registry key shows old SCCM server name... RRS feed

• Question

• Got an odd one here, a few months ago we decommissioned our old SCCM server and rolled out a brand new one. Today I got an odd warning message on our DirectAccess Remote Management console that said "Management Servers: Not working properly". It also displayed the name of our previous SCCM server (that has been shut down for months now). I did some digging in the registry and found this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\SMSSLP

Was the one that contained the reference to our old server. Odd thing is, its very erratic across our severs and clients (some display the old server, some the new). We don't have a GPO setting a management server or anything, so I'm really perplexed as to what could be causing this. Does anyone have any suggestions as to wehre else I can look for the cause o this issue?

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:43 PM

Answers

• The SLP is a role that was rolled into the MP in 2012 but is useless once a client is assigned to the site and has an MP assigned. Thus, unless you are having a specific ConfigMgr issue, this is nothing to worry about.

There are no "Management Servers" in ConfigMgr so while you may have an issue, it's unrelated to ConfigMgr. 

Where exactly did you get that message?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:53 PM
  • Jason,

I feel like a moron. I found it. You are right, my two issues were totally unrelated. Turns out there is a section in the Remote Access Management console for DirectAccess where you can set up Management Servers. One of my direct reports set this up for me and forgot to update it to reflect the new SCCM server. I have corrected it so that solves the specific issue that led me to post this thread.

Regardless, that was good information you shared regarding the SLP setting in the registry. I'll disregard that now.

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:39 PM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:39 PM

All replies

• The SLP is a role that was rolled into the MP in 2012 but is useless once a client is assigned to the site and has an MP assigned. Thus, unless you are having a specific ConfigMgr issue, this is nothing to worry about.

There are no "Management Servers" in ConfigMgr so while you may have an issue, it's unrelated to ConfigMgr. 

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:53 PM

Hey Jason,

Well, maybe this is an issue with DirectAccess then (as opposed to SCCM). I'm seeing the error in the Remote Access Management Console on all my DirectAccess servers. I guess I just assumedthat registry key was the culprit. Maybe that makes this an issue for another forum but do you have any advice regardless? See the screenshot below (server name and domain info is blacked out):

• Edited by ZeusABJ Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:54 PM Typo
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Jason,

I feel like a moron. I found it. You are right, my two issues were totally unrelated. Turns out there is a section in the Remote Access Management console for DirectAccess where you can set up Management Servers. One of my direct reports set this up for me and forgot to update it to reflect the new SCCM server. I have corrected it so that solves the specific issue that led me to post this thread.

Regardless, that was good information you shared regarding the SLP setting in the registry. I'll disregard that now.

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:39 PM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Very few morons here -- the fact that you could dig in and troubleshoot proves you are not one of them.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:00 PM