How do I install Internet Explorer 8 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit Computer??? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I install Internet Explorer 8 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit Computer???
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:18 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 X64 comes with IE8 X86 (32 bit).

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:37 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

In the 64-bit Operation System, the 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) has been included. Go to start->all program->accessories, you will find 32 bit IE. If you would like to set it to default, try the below steps:

1. Click "Start" and then click "Control Panel".
    2. In the Category click Program.
    3. Click "Default Programs”.
    4. Choose “Associate a file type or protocol with a program”.
    5. Scroll down to click .mht type.
    6. Click Change program and choose Internet Explorer (32-bit) to open .mht files.

Note: If you do not see the choice Internet Explorer (32-bit), please click Browse…, Locate the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, then click Open to choose the program.

7. Check “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”.
    8. Click OK.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:03 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 X64 comes with IE8 X86 (32 bit).

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

In the 64-bit Operation System, the 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) has been included. Go to start->all program->accessories, you will find 32 bit IE. If you would like to set it to default, try the below steps:

1. Click "Start" and then click "Control Panel".
    2. In the Category click Program.
    3. Click "Default Programs”.
    4. Choose “Associate a file type or protocol with a program”.
    5. Scroll down to click .mht type.
    6. Click Change program and choose Internet Explorer (32-bit) to open .mht files.

Note: If you do not see the choice Internet Explorer (32-bit), please click Browse…, Locate the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, then click Open to choose the program.

7. Check “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”.
    8. Click OK.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:03 AM
  • I'm having an issue with this as well.  I followed the path described above to locate the file (c:\program files (x86)...etc), but the iexplore.exe file isn't there.  Is there something else / somewhere else I can look?

Thanks,

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:22 PM
  • So it goes back to the original question, "How do you install..." What is it with people who answer these questions where they jump the gun or don't give a complete answer. Try this response on for size. Maybe you'll learn something.

Windows 7 X64 comes with IE8 X86 (32 bit) which is located in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe." If you find it in this folder, double click on it to run it. If it doesn't run, that's a different issue which can be addressed separately. If it's not there, here are the steps for installing it:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Stop answering the question in your own head an answer the question being asked!

Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:02 PM
  • I have found that even launching from Program Files (x86), I still end up with the 64 bit one. The reason appears to be explained in this post. I understand them unifying the two versions, but it's a shame there isn't an easier override:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-enable-64-bit-mode-in-internet-explorer-10-on-windows-8/

Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:41 AM
  • I had the 32bit IE but I deleted it because I didn't think I needed it. Now there are programs that IE 64 bit cannot download. Should I just install IE 8 or what?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:52 PM