none
Shading Columns in Gantt Chart - Project Standard 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way that I can shade a specific time period in Gantt Chart view to make viewing clearer? We have an 'operational window' which extends between April and September during which work can be undertaken. I'd like to shade this period a different colour on the Gantt chart view if possible to enable easier viewing. Many thanks in advance, Peter
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:16 PM

Answers

• peter,

Well not really, but you could set a flag for each of the tasks in the desired timeframe. Then filter on the flag, select all tasks, and go to Format/Bar Styles group/Bar. Set the bar formatting to make it stand out. Then remove the filter. All the tasks in that timeframe will stand out.

You could also use the drawing tool to "frame" the time period.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by peterjelliott Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:52 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:31 PM
  • In addition to John's suggestion, what I sometimes do when this required is print the Gantt to a PDF as I want/need it, then use a PDF/graphic editing tool to lay over translucent panels of colour.

--rms

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:18 PM
  • Would it help if you created a calendar which has your working window as nonworking days and then right click on the chart, select nonworking time and specify that calendar with whatever shading you want. Of course the shading is meant to show nonworking days shaded, but this will work for you.
    • Marked as answer by peterjelliott Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:14 AM

All replies

• peter,

Well not really, but you could set a flag for each of the tasks in the desired timeframe. Then filter on the flag, select all tasks, and go to Format/Bar Styles group/Bar. Set the bar formatting to make it stand out. Then remove the filter. All the tasks in that timeframe will stand out.

You could also use the drawing tool to "frame" the time period.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for your prompt reply John

I'll give the drawing tool a try

Kind regards

Peter

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Peter,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:10 PM
  • In addition to John's suggestion, what I sometimes do when this required is print the Gantt to a PDF as I want/need it, then use a PDF/graphic editing tool to lay over translucent panels of colour.

--rms

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:18 PM
  • That's a great idea thanks as I will probably end up sharing the schedules via pdf anyway.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Would it help if you created a calendar which has your working window as nonworking days and then right click on the chart, select nonworking time and specify that calendar with whatever shading you want. Of course the shading is meant to show nonworking days shaded, but this will work for you.
    • Marked as answer by peterjelliott Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:14 AM
  • That's a possibility thanks Trevor - I'll keep it in mind and maybe try all of the options suggested to see which works best for me.

Cheers

Peter

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:47 AM