none
2016 excel standard version connect with oracle database error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

i am getting issue during connect my excel to oracle database.

i am using window 10 64 bit and excel 2016 standard version 64 bit and oracle is install on Linux server 64 bit.

TNS file on my system through that i can access my database with SQL developer and also able to connect in POWER BI but i want some reports data in excel so i am trying through excel as well but getting error

I have added system/user DSN and system variable as well and test connection is successful but when i am trying in excel then getting error 

Error :  " login failed catalog information cannot be retrieved"

following below steps for connectivity 

From Other Sources --> From Data Connection Wizard --> other/advance

tried:  Oracle provider for OLE DB / Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC drivers

Kindly help for the same, last 4 -5 days i am trying but still facing issue
    Monday, October 21, 2019 7:43 AM

Answers

• If you can access it through Power BI you should be able to access it through Excel. It sounds like right now you are trying to use the old Excel data connectors and not Power Query. It probably isn't listed in Excel 2016 Standard, but you should be able to use the same connector you are using in Power BI. Power Query in Excel 2016 will be in the "Get & Transform" section of the Data ribbon. You can create a Blank Query there and copy over the code from your query in Power BI, where I would guess you are using the Oracle.Database connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/oracle-database

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:17 PM

All replies

• If you can access it through Power BI you should be able to access it through Excel. It sounds like right now you are trying to use the old Excel data connectors and not Power Query. It probably isn't listed in Excel 2016 Standard, but you should be able to use the same connector you are using in Power BI. Power Query in Excel 2016 will be in the "Get & Transform" section of the Data ribbon. You can create a Blank Query there and copy over the code from your query in Power BI, where I would guess you are using the Oracle.Database connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/oracle-database

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:17 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,

I am using standard version 2016 where Get & Transform is not in data ribbon and also not coming oracle data source option so i am trying to connect from Other Source as i mentioned below.

From Other Sources --> From Data Connection Wizard --> other/advance

Ajeet

Sunday, October 27, 2019 5:49 AM
  • I am using standard version 2016 where Get & Transform is not in data ribbon

Yet you provide a screenshot where the Get & Transform group is staring you in the face...weird.

If you are using From Other Sources in the Get Externa Data group, then you're in the wrong forum, since that method has nothing to do with Power Query.

For a Power Query solution, in the Get & Transform tab, select New Query-->From Database-->From Oracle Database. Only then can this forum help (hopefully) if you encounter problems.

Sunday, October 27, 2019 4:37 PM