Scripting ADMT v3.1 CreateObject Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying create some scripts for ADMT v3.1.  I am running the script on a Windows Server 2008 x64 Domain Controller. When I try to instantiate the ADMT.Migration object with the syntax Set objMigration = CreateObject("ADMT.Migration" ) I receive the following error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'ADMT.Migration'.  I have made sure that the C:\Windows\ADMT\admtscript.dll has been registered with regsvr32.exe, but with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Before going any further, would you also share me the command line how you run the ADMT VBScripts and the screenshot of the error message reported by the script or windows script host?(Please send to tfwst@microsoft.com )

According to the error message “ActiveX component can’t create object: ADMT.Migration”, we should make sure the “c:\windows\admt\admtscript.dll " is a valid DLL or OCX file”. The ADMT v3.1 is a 32bit application. If we simply use the 64bit version script host C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe, we will face problems to create 32bit ActiveX objects, such as ADMT v3.1 Active objects. Therefore, we normally use the 32bit version script host c:\windows\syswow64\cscript.exe to launch ADMT scripts on Windows Server 2008 64bit Edition.

c:\windows\syswow64\cscript.exe Migrate.wsf

If you are not use the above command, would you please try it?

Note: The command requires to be run under administrator full privilege. Therefore, you need either disable UAC, or open a Command Prompt Windows by Run as Administrator.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:46 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I did some research regarding error message “ActiveX component can't create object: 'ADMT.Migration'”. This problem may occur if the SQL Server database instance of ADMT was disabled. Please set the startup type of the SQL Server database instance of ADMT, SQL Server(MS_ADMT), to “auto”, and “start” it.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Monday, February 23, 2009 2:44 AM
  • The MS_ADMT database instance is running.  I went ahead and added a login and added the login to the db_owner group to see if it was a permissions issue with the migration account that I am logged in under.  I still get the same message when trying to instantiate the ADMT.Migration object.  The GUI and command-line both work properly though.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 4:27 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Before going any further, would you also share me the command line how you run the ADMT VBScripts and the screenshot of the error message reported by the script or windows script host?(Please send to tfwst@microsoft.com )

According to the error message “ActiveX component can’t create object: ADMT.Migration”, we should make sure the “c:\windows\admt\admtscript.dll " is a valid DLL or OCX file”. The ADMT v3.1 is a 32bit application. If we simply use the 64bit version script host C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe, we will face problems to create 32bit ActiveX objects, such as ADMT v3.1 Active objects. Therefore, we normally use the 32bit version script host c:\windows\syswow64\cscript.exe to launch ADMT scripts on Windows Server 2008 64bit Edition.

c:\windows\syswow64\cscript.exe Migrate.wsf

If you are not use the above command, would you please try it?

Note: The command requires to be run under administrator full privilege. Therefore, you need either disable UAC, or open a Command Prompt Windows by Run as Administrator.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:46 AM