none
Mailbox movement from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have introduced Exchange 2010 in our environment , when are trying to move mailbox from 2k7 to 2k10 . Outlook gets disconnected and doesn't come to connected status untill we re-configure the profile. Sometime after movement message goes to user that Administartor has done some changes so need to re-start but most of the time it doesn't.

Please help me so that mailbox movement can be smooth. We are migrating cross ad site and cas array is working fine. We have single DAG.

Pls help !!

Volly_Gauti

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:23 PM

Answers

• This is as it should be - until your mailboxes are all on Exchange 2010, as soon as you start a move request, the mailbox will be inaccessible from your Outlook client systems.  However, your Outlook should be able to fix its own profile - you close Outlook at the start of the move, and once it finishes, you re-open Outlook.  Outlook will query for the mailbox server, and will be told to go to your Exchange 2010 CAS.  Outlook has been able to repair its profiles after a mailbox move since Exchange 4.0 Beta 2 was released in 1995.

Now, if you aren't using a CAS Array for your Exchange 2010 organization, I highly recommend you implement one, even if it just points to one of your CASs initially.  The CAS Array greatly simplifies issues when one of your CASs fails when it was hosting half of your mailbox connections.  See the following TechNet blog for more information on this recommendation:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/omers/archive/2010/10/11/microsoft-exchange-2010-cas-array-steps-and-recommendations.aspx

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:00 PM

All replies

• This is as it should be - until your mailboxes are all on Exchange 2010, as soon as you start a move request, the mailbox will be inaccessible from your Outlook client systems.  However, your Outlook should be able to fix its own profile - you close Outlook at the start of the move, and once it finishes, you re-open Outlook.  Outlook will query for the mailbox server, and will be told to go to your Exchange 2010 CAS.  Outlook has been able to repair its profiles after a mailbox move since Exchange 4.0 Beta 2 was released in 1995.

Now, if you aren't using a CAS Array for your Exchange 2010 organization, I highly recommend you implement one, even if it just points to one of your CASs initially.  The CAS Array greatly simplifies issues when one of your CASs fails when it was hosting half of your mailbox connections.  See the following TechNet blog for more information on this recommendation:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/omers/archive/2010/10/11/microsoft-exchange-2010-cas-array-steps-and-recommendations.aspx

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:00 PM
  • appreciated your answer !!

Is it because of roll up as i have only exchange 2010 with sp3 without any roll ups.

Please suggest as many articles on exchange is stating about it, Pls help.

Thanks

Volly_Gauti

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Adding that -->

ecWrongServer info is communicated to some AD site but not all across AD site.

Volly_Gauti

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Without more information about your full organization (Ex2007 and Ex2010), I can't make statements about why your clients might not be redirecting to their mailboxes properly after the move completes.  However, if you have the mailbox open throughout the process, it can cause problems.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:18 PM
  • I've read that mailbox migrations in Exchange 2010 can be "online" (take place while the user is in Outlook) but in practice I have encountered fewer (if any) problems when Outlook is closed. In one recent mailbox move, the user was not prompted at all for anything. With the mailbox open (in the case of another user), we have had to perform an Outlook repair to eliminate error messages.

So I would recommend you move the mailboxes with Outlook closed. Or at least see it that helps.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:05 PM
  • David, you are right - mailbox moves in Exchange 2010 can be online.  However, he is moving from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.  This requires that the client is disconnected from the mailbox during the move process.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:05 PM
  • In practice, I find this is the case (better to disconnect client), but there is documentation that claims the 2007-2010 mailbox move is an online process:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638192(v=exchg.141).aspx

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Hmm, I stand corrected - in my experience, this was not how it worked until both mailboxes were on Exchange 2010.  But I think we agree in practice - if you have the mailbox open, there is a better chance things will have troubles at the end of the move process.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:54 PM