Workaround for allowing more than one watermark in document RRS feed

• Question

• In previous versions of Word we could allow multiple watermarks in the same document.  Apparently in Word 2010, only watermark is allowed per document.  Not only that, but the watermark defaults to first section only and if different first page is on, then 1st page of the first section only.

I've tried writing a macro to copy the watermark to all sections of the document.  It works pretty good for diagonal watermarks displaying across the page, but in watermarks stamped in headers (right side), when the macro runs the watermarks in the other sections, are dropped in each section farther right.

Has anyone come up with any workarounds for these defects?  Or using other features that work better?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:53 PM

Answers

• Since all kinds of watermarks are objects anchored to the header, manually copying header content from one section to the next should take care of the problem.

Of course, in practice, things may be more complicated than that, depending on what is in the header (beside the object anchor, that is). Manually copying all content would of course duplicate that other stuff as well, not only the objects...

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:55 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:36 PM
  • I wrote a macro that copies them and then ensures they are using the same placement attributes.
    • Marked as answer by orlandp Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:36 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:36 AM

All replies

• Since all kinds of watermarks are objects anchored to the header, manually copying header content from one section to the next should take care of the problem.

Of course, in practice, things may be more complicated than that, depending on what is in the header (beside the object anchor, that is). Manually copying all content would of course duplicate that other stuff as well, not only the objects...

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:55 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:36 PM
  • I wrote a macro that copies them and then ensures they are using the same placement attributes.
    • Marked as answer by orlandp Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:36 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:36 AM
  • I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the follow-up!

Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:59 PM
  • This is not a reply, really - it is a follow-on question. I have tried for a very long time (years?) to have one document with maybe 60 sections. I would like to have a different watermark per section. I agree with the above where the writer says, "...Word 2010, only one watermark is allowed per document." Then I don't understand why he then wants to copy the watermark to all the sections of the document if it already will only allow one watermark per document???

That is not my question. My problem is that I cannot make my watermark unique, section by section. I am using Word 2013 and I would be very, very pleased to find a way to have unique watermarks, section by section, within one document - or a workaround that accomplishes that.

Bob K.

korndorb

Friday, February 14, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Watermarks may behave differently in different versions of Word. :-(

You can create your watermark manually and anchor it to the relevant headers. (For example, you can use a text box—if you want to create a text watermark.) Take a look at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/AnchorToHeader.htm.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:11 PM
  • One important thing to remember is that each Section has three headers and three footers, even if only one of these is being displayed. Each of these can be linked, or not, to the previous section. So if you do not use the "different first page" or "different even and odd" settings you do not need to worry about the headers and footers that are not displayed. So each Section after the first will have six settings for link-to-previous. For each of these, the default is to link to the previous header/footer of that type.

Header/Footer Settings Recap

Word puts Watermarks in the header. I see no reason to do otherwise, that way you do not have to worry about the footer settings.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:58 PM
  • I just found a workaround which works in my version of word.  I don't know which version of word I have but its an older one.  I haven't tried this on newer versions of word.  

Its not a very elegant solution but it works.  I insert a watermark, which then goes into every section (grrr).  But if I open the header, then I can click on the watermark in the sections I don't want it and delete it, and it disappears from that section, but remains in the other sections.  

I can then put in a different watermark in different sections and do the same thing.  It does mean you have to delete a watermark which is overtop of another which is a pain, and especially if you have 60 sections but at least you only have to do it once per section.  

Pretty sure for this to work the headers can't be linked to each other.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:22 AM
  • I had this problem too but my issue was slightly different, I wanted to have different watermark images in each section.  A mixture of picture in section 1 and text in section 2 works fine, but a different image in each section didn't.  My solution was as follows:

Adjust the zoom to have at least 1st and 2nd page on the screen, insert a section break (next page) on page 1. Modify the header section 2 to uncheck "Different First Page"

Enter header/view and create the picture watermark in Section 1.

Select Section 2 and change the watermark to text. You should now see an image on page 1 and the text watermark on page 2. Select and delete the textbox.  

In Section 2 insert picture from file and stretch it the edge of the page, ensure it appears behind text and save as template after adjusting margins accordingly.

Hope this helps.

GF

Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:22 PM
  • OH THANK YOU!!!!! You saved me a lot of frustration! So grateful you posted this solution! WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!! I would have NEVER figured this out on my own and I searched Google with YOUR solution being the ONLY one that ACTUALLY answered this question! GENIUS!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    Friday, November 14, 2014 5:09 PM