none
DFS Files not replicated RRS feed

• Question

• HI Guys,

Two DFS Servers and found \\dfs01\reports  -File 1   not replicate to \\dfs02\reports  ?  I just tried manually run the replication from DFS console  and run the bewlow two commands

user is connect to dfs02.

1.dfsrdiag backlog /rgname:reports /rfname:reports /sendingmember:dfs01 /receivingmember:dfs02

Member <dfs02> Backlog File Count: 41800
    Backlog File Names (first 100 files)
         1. E:\Data\Reports\06-Training Reports\Archieve\IN\02 Facilitator Dashboards\skill\2013\08 August\ORISOL03 20130608.xlsx
         2. E:\CorpData\Reporting\06-Training Reports\Archieve\IN\02 Facilitator Dashboards\skill\2013\03 March\ORIRES06 20131403.xlsx

2. dfsrdiag syncnow /partner:dfs01 /RGName:Reports /Time:1

But still file not sync back to user?

As

Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

as i can take from your log the backlog file count is 41800. So there is much data to replicate.

How long did you wait ? How does this look after one night replicating ?

To make sure there is no other issue coming up - have you checked the dfs log ?

regards, pat

Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

You have a big backlog, which means it's going to take a while until the replication is complete or then your replication is broken.

Please check the DFS Replication event log for any warnings/errors, and give us the information here.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

Here are some advice for your reference:

Generate a diagnose report:

At the same time ,check the event log if there are any related event or errors .

If possible, you can share a screenshot .

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 9, 2019 2:56 AM
  •  

Log Name:      DFS Replication
    Source:        DFSR
    Date:          13/08/2019 1:22:45 PM
    Event ID:      4304
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      FS02
    Description:
    The DFS Replication service has been repeatedly prevented from replicating a file due to consistent sharing violations encountered on the file. The service failed to stage a file for replication due to a sharing violation. 

Additional Information: 
    File Path: E:\Contracts\ACC\Dan\Teams\QA\Quality Team\IS User details - August.xlsx 
    Replicated Folder Root: e:\Contracts 
    Replicated Folder Name: Contracts 

============================================================

Date:          13/08/2019 1:22:53 PM
    Event ID:      4202
    Level:         Warning
    Computer:      FS02
    Description:
    The DFS Replication service has detected that the staging space in use for the replicated folder at local path e:\Contracts is above the high watermark. The service will attempt to delete the oldest staging files. Performance may be affected. 

Additional Information: 
    Staging Folder: e:\Contracts\DfsrPrivate\Staging\ContentSet{ED1D6E92-5DF5-4D50-80C3-861E56573FC4}-{3BEDFCFA-2294-4AC6-A677-FD6E12EA7A65} 
    Configured Size: 120000 MB 
    Space in Use: 108000 MB 
    High Watermark: 90%

Low Watermark: 60%

I just check the server file sizes and noticed below? DataShare only have 55 GB but rest are so big and going crazy?

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:46 AM
  • 
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:26 AM
  • Users are set to connect to dfs02 noticed that files are deleting ?
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:18 AM
  • The event error 4202 means that the set amount of space for DFS Replication to use is either about to be exceeded or already has been, you could try increasing the size of the staging area.

1. Open the DFS Management console.

2. In the console tree, under the Replication tab, select the replication group that contains the replicated folder with the quotas that you want to edit.

3. In the details pane, on the Memberships tab, right-click the replicated folder on the member with the quota that you want to edit, and then click Properties.

4. On the Staging tab, adjust the staging folder quota and path as necessary.

5. On the Advanced tab, adjust the Conflict and Deleted folder quota as necessary.
    For example increase it to 20GB or more (if you have sufficient disk space).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For troubleshooting sharing violations, see:
    Troubleshooting erroneous sharing violations in the DFS Replication health report

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Folder Target priority set for First Among all Target in FS02  and all the users are connect to that. But i can see

below event in FS01 ? 

Date:          13/08/2019 12:28:23 PM
    Event ID:      4412
    Level:         Information
    Computer:      FS01
    Description:
    The DFS Replication service detected that a file was changed on multiple servers. A conflict resolution algorithm was used to determine the winning file. The losing file was moved to the Conflict and Deleted folder.  

===========================

I have already increased the size and i'll give a reboot. The main issue is files are deleted ?

As

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:57 AM
  • The event 4412 is quite common actually, whenever there are conflicting files, there will always be winning and losing files.

This event simply states that the DFS Replication has found conflicts and therefore moves the losing files to the "Conflict and Deleted" folder.

If your issue still persists, try re-creating the whole DFS Replication group from scratch (no files will be lost in this process).

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:30 PM
  •  "try re-creating the whole DFS Replication group from scratch (no files will be lost in this process)"

Hi Leon,

You mean delete the current replication groups from both servers and recreate? do i have to do anything else before detleting the replication?

Can we delete the DFSR->Private Data? 300GB data on that folder?

When we delete RG do i have to cleanup the DFSR>Private Contracts folder?

still got lot of back logs 
    contracts FS01 To:FS02 Backlog: 723234
    contracts From FS02 To: FS01 Backlog: 746597

As

• Edited by AUSSUPPORT Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:47 PM
  • You can manually cleanup the Dfsr folders, but it's not a requirement before deleting and re-creating the DFS Replication group.

However in your case you might want to start from a clean slate, you can refer to the following guide on how to clean the folders:
    Manually Clearing the ConflictAndDeleted Folder in DFSR

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks, so first  delete the RG then copy the data back to server A to server B. Create the RG.

Do I have to delete the staging files? Need to stop the DFSR service?

As 

• Edited by AUSSUPPORT Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:27 AM
  • You can do it that way or simply just delete -> create the RG.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi Leon,

The reason i asked.

Server A Folder Got 250Gb   and server B folder got 285Gb

Users are connecting to Server A  and i need only replicate any changes done in server A folder replicate to server B.

Now after recreate  RG will server B data copied back to server A?

As

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:44 AM
  • Interesting that Server B is bigger...

The replication will go the way you choose to configure it to, how do you want it to replicate?

Server A --> Server B

or

Server B --> Server A

or

Server A <--> Server B

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:01 AM
  • Hi Leon,

In My Namespace i have 10 folder targets. Some folders set the Referral Status to Enabled to my server A and some to Server B.  

So set the replication both ways up to now  but i have noticed this event Id 4412. and file missing issue,

How do we set only replicate Folder Target one way? 

I don't want to copy data from server B to replicate to server A.

As

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:14 AM
  • When you create a DFS replication group, select "No topology":

Then select your Server A as primary member, then select your folders etc and finish creating the replication group.

You will now have no connections in the replication group, so to add one select your newly created replication group and click New Connection from the right pane:

Then make sure that you select Server A as the sending member, and Server B as the receiving member.

Once you have created the connection, you will have a replication only from Server A --> Server B.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:35 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks, Noticed that Under replicated folders "Not Published" is that ok? also why we cannot select Replication group for data collection to create the RG?

How do we monitor the replication?

As

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:50 AM
  • Yes this is by default and it's okay, yes you can also use the "Replication Group for Data Collection" if you like.

To proper monitor your replication you can use monitoring software, or simply check the DFS Replication log, it will write events whenever you create a replication group, initiate replication and so on.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:00 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Replication has started but server B got lot of event ID 4412 ? is this mean delete only from server B or from server A too? 

No event 4412 in server a yet.

As

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Since your're replicating from Server A --> Server B, if the files already exist on Server B they may be considered as conflicting and therefore moved to the "ConflictAndDeleted" folder, they won't be deleted from Server A or from Server B.

The event 4412 usually indicate that there has been a conflict between two files/directory between the source and the destination involved in DFS replication and one needs to be removed.

The decision to choose the file that is deleted and moved to "ConflictAndDeleted folder" is based on the so called "fence value".

If two files have same "fence value", then the last modified time stamp will be used to decide the winner: Last writer wins is the algorithm that will be used when time stamps are compared.

It is regular that we 4412 conflict events in a setup where users are constantly accessing/modifying the files/folders.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:52 PM
  • HI Leon,

Thank you for your support and much appriciate. Somehow reason still files are missing from server A working folders? I have to copy from Server B. Even not in Previous Version.

I have configured Shadow Copies and Dedup on these volumes.

As

• Edited by AUSSUPPORT Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:27 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:26 AM
  • So some of your folder referrals are configured as follow: Server B —> Server A correct? And these folders are missing files?

If you re-created the replication group as we’ve recently discussed, then you will have no replication from Server B —> Server A, you will need to configure this carefully.

If you have configured this already, please create a diagnostics health report and check for any warnings/errors.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:21 AM