Custom DSN message nor custom rejection message is appearing when Transport Rule Blocks incoming e-mail. RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

My Customer is running Exchange 2013 CU5 that has a transport rule that is supposed to reject any email from a particular user as that user is no longer with the company. The transport rule rejects the message, BUT, it does not show the Custom DSN. It shows the default message:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

user@domain.com Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: EXMBX01.DOMAIN.LOCAL

user@domain.com Remote Server returned '< #5.7.169 smtp;550 5.7.169 TRANSPORT.RULES.RejectMessage; the message was rejected by organization policy>'

I have looked up the transport rule in Exchange:

Get-TransportRule "User Reject" | fl *Reject*,Description

RejectMessageEnhancedStatusCode   : 5.7.169
    RejectMessageReasonText           : This E-MAIL Address is no longer in service. Please Contact
                                        nglaser@domain.com for assistance
    SmtpRejectMessageRejectText       :
    SmtpRejectMessageRejectStatusCode :

Description                                  : If the message:
                                                       Is sent to 'User@domain.com'
                                                       and Is received from 'Outside the organization'
                                                   Take the following actions:
                                                       Set audit severity level to 'High'
                                                       and reject the message and include the explanation 'This E-MAIL
                                                   Address is no longer in service. Please Contact
                                                   nglaser@domain.com for assistance' with the status code: '5.7.169'

I tried setting up to separate external DSN messages and tried both with the same results:

Get-SystemMessage | ft -a -wr

Identity            Text
    --------            ----
    en\External\5.7.69  This E-MAIL Address is no longer in service. Please Contact nglaser@domain.com for assistance.
    en\External\5.7.169 This E-MAIL Address is no longer in service. Please Contact nglaser@domain.com for assistance.

I tried to change the SmtpRejectMessageRejectText on both Exchange servers and got the following error:

Set-TransportRule -Identity "User Reject" -SMTPRejectMessageRejectText "This E-MAIL Addre
    ss is no longer in service. Please Contact nglaser@domain.com for assistance"

A specified parameter isn't valid on a server with the Hub Transport role installed.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (SmtpRejectMessageRejectText:String) [Set-TransportRule], ArgumentExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=EXMBX01,RequestId=b2a61aba-179b-4867-85b8-cc47eba62701,TimeStamp=6/27/2014
        7:19:32 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ArgumentException] 8BBE1900,Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.
      SetTransportRule
        + PSComputerName        : exmbx01.domain.local

I really am having issues finding and answer. Any assistance would be greatful!

Thanks,

Lance Lingerfelt

Friday, June 27, 2014 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Lance,

I am pending research, please wait.

Thanks for your understanding : )

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Try to specify the same values on -SMTPRejectMessageRejectText & -SMTPRejectMessageRejectStatusCode

Monday, June 30, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Hi Lance,

I suggest following the article below to perform the configuration.

Associate a DSN Message with a Transport Rule

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123506(v=exchg.141).aspx

Even if the Exchange Version is 2010, the method for your reference.

Feel free to contact me if there is any problem.

Thanks

Mavis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Mavis Huang

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Hi Mavis,

I created the rule using EAC and PowerShell stating the custom DSN message as the message to use with no luck whatsoever. Something is just not processing properly.

Lance

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Hi Lance,

Thanks for your update.

According to the error that you pasted, "A specified parameter isn't valid on a server with the Hub Transport role installed.", it seems you have no proper permission to use some specific parameters.

Even if there are many parameters in the Technet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125138(v=exchg.150).aspx , you may not have access to some parameters if they're not included in the permissions assigned to you. You need Organization Management and Records Management permissions, see the following links:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd633492(v=exchg.150).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335087(v=exchg.150).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638205(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:11 AM
  • Hi Lance,

Any update?

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:44 AM
  • Hello,

I will be checking on these settings today. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Lance

Monday, July 7, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Hi Lance,

I am just writing to see if you have obtained the opportunity to test the solution. If anything is unclear with the previous information I've provided to you, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

I created the transport rule using the administrator account which has organization management rights. The rule is set to reject external emails that come in for that user. There should not be any permissions issues as it is only the Exchange Transport service that is handling the message. I have tried multiple DSN messages and none seem to work.

Thanks,

Lance

Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:38 PM