No Performance Data from SCOM Agents running on Windows 2008 Server Core w/Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to monitor a Windows 2008 Core Server w/Hyper-V and everything is good except Scom 2007 r2 isn't collecting Performance Data.

In the agent log is see the following error Event id's

10104:

In PerfDataSource, querying for Global Snapshot failed with error 'The remote procedure cal'
    One or more workflows were affected by this.
    Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.LogicalDisk.DiskWritesPerSec.Collection
    Instance name: C:
    Instance ID: {FF872655-3173-DBE2-0D0C-04686B48E41F}
    Management group: XXXXXX

1103:

Summary: 1 rule(s)/monitor(s) failed and got unloaded, 1 of them reached the failure limit that prevents automatic reload. Management group "ZonVos". This is summary only event, please see other events with descriptions of unloaded rule(s)/monitor(s).

So these seems the problem, is seems the agent can't read any data. Does anyone knows a solutions?

Thanks,

Stephan Voskamp

• Moved by Rob Kuehfus Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:22 PM This a MP related issue (From:Deployment)
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Graham,

It is / was on two Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 servers. I have another Hyper-V Server which is a Windows 2008 Datacenter SP2 with Hyper-V Role and this one is working fine.

I migrated one of the Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 to a Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Server and the performance data is now correctly reading that server so i think it a problem with the OS. As the migration was fast and simpel i'm migrating the other server as well and so solves my problem. I know it not a real solution but as the Hyper-V os is free i suggest that everyone having the same problem upgrade his to the 2008 R2 version.

Cheers,

Stephan
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• I had some problems with a agent on a hyper-V server , http://contoso.se/blog/?p=296 , could you verify that your core box is discovered as a 2008 core machine? You can do that with the discovered inventory view in the monitoring workspace.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:01 AM
  • You are right scom 2007 r2 sees the server as a full operating system. "Windows Server 2008 Full Operating System" type = full and not core. This could explain the problem. I read your article but it doesn't mention a solution. Do you know any?

Monday, August 3, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure that is the root cause of your problem. I have not tried it after I wrote that post, I reported it as a bug and was hoping to get it fixed in later MPs.

--

Anders Bengtsson
    Microsoft MVP - Ops Mgr
    www.contoso.se
    Monday, August 3, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Hi Anders

Just be aware that there is a world of difference between Windows Hyper V server and windows 2008 (whether full or core) with the hyper V role. They are not the same thing. With Windows 2008, I have both full and core servers accurately identified.

As MSFT state on their Hyper V server FAQ:

http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/faq.aspx

"Microsoft Hyper-V Server is a separate stand-alone product. Customers cannot upgrade from a previous version of Windows Server to Microsoft Hyper-V Server. Customers cannot upgrade from Microsoft Hyper-V Server to Windows Server 2008 as they are different products. To migrate from a Microsoft Hyper-V Server environment to a Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V environment, export the virtual machines from Hyper-V Server, install Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition, enable the Hyper-V role and import the virtual machines."

If you look at the supported configurations then Hyper V server is not listed as a supported OS. Don't know if that is just an oversight by Microsoft.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309428.aspx

Stephan - could you clarify whether you are using Windows 2008 with Hyper V role or Windows Hyper V server?

Do you see this error in the agents log of the host or guest?

Are logical diskperf counters enabled?

Cheers

Graham

PS - although my groups are correctly populated, I can actually see the same problem as you and this is on Windows 2008 Enterprise with Hyper V role installed. I'll double check all my Hyper V hotfixes ;-)

As an update - I had a look at the local administrators on the core server and local system wasn't in there. I have added and am shutting down the virtual machines with a view to rebooting the host .. I'll let you know if that solves it.

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    • Edited by Graham Davies Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:50 PM update
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Hi Graham,

It is / was on two Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 servers. I have another Hyper-V Server which is a Windows 2008 Datacenter SP2 with Hyper-V Role and this one is working fine.

I migrated one of the Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 to a Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Server and the performance data is now correctly reading that server so i think it a problem with the OS. As the migration was fast and simpel i'm migrating the other server as well and so solves my problem. I know it not a real solution but as the Hyper-V os is free i suggest that everyone having the same problem upgrade his to the 2008 R2 version.

Cheers,

Stephan
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:51 PM