Workflow Variable limit RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon, 

I have a developer who has bumped up to the fifty variable limit in a given workflow.  Looking over the documentation I see where it is possible to increase this limit, but I was curious if this was advisable.  Is there a technet article, etc that deals with recommended maximums for workflow variables and/or impacts that could be expected if this limit is raised?

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:29 PM

All replies

• There is no way to increase the 50 variable limit or atleast I haven't seen that. I face the similar issue couple of times from my team members. They only way is to reduce the no. of variables used in the form by reusing it. SPD workflow auto creates most of the variables, try to remove them and resuse any existing variable. This is specially in case of string, Boolean and integer variables.

If your workflow doing multiple REST calls then try to keep generic disctionary variables for all calls for Header specially.

Adnan Amin MCT, SharePoint Architect | If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer. | http://mstechtalk.com

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:41 AM
  • Based on the blog below it should be possible for on-prem installs by using the Set-WFServiceConfiguration command.  Prior to going down that road though I wanted to ensure there are no performance or other impacts to the workflow service or the farm.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/feseca/2015/02/27/error-publishing-a-sharepoint-workflow-into-workflow-manager-exceeds-the-maximum-number-of-arguments/

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Hi Alex, 

Yes, you can use the Set-WFServiceConfiguration PowerShell cmdlet as the link described.

We can also change the default settings of the workflow variable limit in the Workflow Manager table, but it is not recommend. 

For more information, you can refer to:

http://moresharepoints.blogspot.in/2014/01/sharepoint-designer-2013-workflow-error.html

I am not sure whether it will affect the performance, as an suggestion,  to overcome this issue we need to reduce the complexity of workflow (split workflow with smaller logic) , then call second workflow from the first.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

You can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

You can also share your own solution here and mark it as answer, and we can learn from each other.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:11 AM