VB6 Reference Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,
    I need your help badly...

Here's my setup:
    VB6 Pro running in Windows 7.

I have created programs and been running them for awhile until last week where i cannot load them anymore.
    No errors , it just say VB6 not responding and closes the vb6 app.

Here's some scenarios:
    1. if i open my project, it doesnt continue without error, only says vb6 not responding and closes the vb6 app.
    2. if i delete the comctl32.ocx from syswow64 and open the project again, it opens and prompt for missing "comctl32.ocx" and loaded the program. but cannot run due to missing comctl32.ocx.
    3. reload comctl32.ocx and register thru regsvr32 command
    4. run step 1, same result.
    5. open new project, add component "microsoft windows common control 5.0 (sp2)" by clicking projects-components. but when checking the reference, it will say missing "microsoft windows common control 5.0 (sp2)".

I also tried my back up file, still same issue..
    Also, even the other components, if you check/select it under component. and view the reference window under project, it will show missing.

I also remove VB6 apps and reinstall it again, still the same issue.

Here's the application error from event viewer:

Faulting application name: VB6.EXE, version: 6.0.81.76, time stamp: 0x3592011f
    Faulting module name: VB6.EXE, version: 6.0.81.76, time stamp: 0x3592011f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00009719
    Faulting process id: 0x1a5c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce2505c169c03c
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\VB6.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\VB6.EXE
    Report Id: 11681b41-90f9-11e2-9e1f-5c260a525508

Additional info:
    both executable files works fine with the existing ocx or dll files.
    So, im thinking is the function or file that got corrupted is the dll that calls the reference files.

PLEASE HELP

• Moved by Paul Ishak Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:10 AM Off Topic
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:38 PM
  • YES!!!!!

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I did, i did post the same inquiry in vb6 forum and hoping to get answers.

I really need this resolve asap. I been stuck for a week now due to this issue.

Please help...

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Nope....

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:22 PM
  • I did, i did post the same inquiry in vb6 forum and hoping to get answers.

I really need this resolve asap. I been stuck for a week now due to this issue.

Please help...

You question isn't clear then.  Do you want to convert your program to a .NET program so you can obtain help on this forum?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:38 PM
  • As far as I know VB6 is incompatable with Win 7 and must installed in an XP virtual machine within Windows 7 or supposedly run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Anyhow it's an antique and useless.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

• Proposed as answer by Crazypennie Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:47 PM
  • As far as I know it's not incompatible with Win 7, just this forum. I run one program written in VB6 on win 7.

Renee

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:02 PM
  • I will say like Monkeyboy,

VB6 will not work successfully on Window7. 

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Yes it will. I run a VB6 executable as part of my desktop.

Renee

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:12 PM
  • I don't mean the executable, I mean the program VB6 Pro.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:15 PM
  • I hear you. But I think I've had VB6 running on Win 7.

Renee

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Renee Culver Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by cmdrbato Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:23 PM
  • yes it does run, i have the VB6 pro and W7 working fine since last year. I made a lot of program on that platform. Just recently (last week), this problem(stated on the original post) occur.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:30 PM
  • You question isn't clear then.  Do you want to convert your program to a .NET program so you can obtain help on this forum?

no, i dont want to convert VB6 to VB.Net.

I just need help from the forum members on how to have the VB6 working again.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:32 PM

I have read that it can be installed after some tweaks, but I certainly would not trust it and it's old. I keep an installation of VB Express 2008 just for that reason, it will open .vbp files and then save them in a format that can be opened in Visual Studio.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:36 PM

I have read that it can be installed after some tweaks, but I certainly would not trust it and it's old. I keep an installation of VB Express 2008 just for that reason, it will open .vbp files and then save them in a format that can be opened in Visual Studio.
    does the VB6 code runs directly under VB 2008?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:53 PM
  • As far as I know yes. That there are tweaks is correct BUT they are very minor.

Renee

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:50 AM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/b1340d04-220b-4e20-a827-d9c0bc8dd6c5/

http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502

Hi Mr. Monkeyboy,

I followed the steps in http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502.

I can open the code now but it prompts for "Could not load COMCTL32.OCX". I tried replacing the file with from my back up and registering it, still shows same error.

We are almost there...but still need help!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Its working now....

So the solution was, followed the steps provided by Mr.Monkey.

and register the comctl32.ocx in syswow64 folder.

Kudos to all of you who spent time to help!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:59 PM