Chkdsk: Unkown Error occured due to recent software installed (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with a friend's computer. I found this error above after trying chkdsk /f upon a reboot. I tried to find something about this, but my results were little to nothing. Restoring (as suggested with the error code) became only a temporary fix. I also noticed the only thing that was installed was a series of Microsoft updates. Turning off the computer to let them install, un-did the system restore process.

The problem that this is causing is not being able to get online, instant messenger programs work, but Mozilla Firefox or IE will not display a webpage (saying to diagnose problems, etc).

After I have browsed and read for hours on end, is there a hotfix or some kind of way to fix this?

thanks.

The OS is windows 7 home premium 64 bit (same system as my laptop with no problems).

Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based my understanding, this issue is, after performing command chkdsk /f, your browsers cannot display webpage, but some instant messenger programs can work normally. If I misunderstand your words, please feel free to let me know.

Regarding the error of chkdsk.exe, you can try the hotfix in the following Knowledge Base article:

The Chkdsk.exe program does not start correctly on a Windows 7-based computer

And I want to confirm the following:

1.      Can you ping some websites and IP addresses?

2.      Do you have any proxy settings?

Please boot into Safe Mode with networking to check what the result is.

I also suspect that there are something corrupted. Please try to run command sfc /scannow to see if it can fix your problem:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 5, 2010 9:35 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi i am currently going through the same issue right now but theres a bit of a difference... I was asked to update some things on my laptop... Windows Live Essentials being one of them... and thats when it stopped working properly.. i can no longer install anything the interenet works the web pages work but i dont have an instant msnger any more... when i rebot i get the same screen that you are getting with the same error code. i cant open my anti virus program, that might only be because my subscription is up... but im not 100% on that... i tried to download a different antivirus trial program and was asked for a proxy server something i dont know about... non the less i no longer have internet protection.. and i cant uninstall norton... the error reads 766f6c756d2e63 3f1 i dont want to have to restor if thats only a temp fix.... can someone help
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

Based my understanding, this issue is, after performing command chkdsk /f, your browsers cannot display webpage, but some instant messenger programs can work normally. If I misunderstand your words, please feel free to let me know.

Regarding the error of chkdsk.exe, you can try the hotfix in the following Knowledge Base article:

The Chkdsk.exe program does not start correctly on a Windows 7-based computer

And I want to confirm the following:

1.      Can you ping some websites and IP addresses?

2.      Do you have any proxy settings?

Please boot into Safe Mode with networking to check what the result is.

I also suspect that there are something corrupted. Please try to run command sfc /scannow to see if it can fix your problem:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 5, 2010 9:35 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:01 AM