Setting default homepage for all users RRS feed

• Question

• I need to set a default homepage for all users.

I tried a script to edit the registry but while it works for me it seems, it does not modify other users.

I used this command:  Set RegQry=”\\%%a\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main” /v Default_Page_URL

And it will run and it does change but I need it to propagate.

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hmm, I can't seem to get those to work. But that is ok. After trying to get the homepage to propagate using the registry, I think gpo might better.

Thanks Rich and Niki!

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:14 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• I would recommend using either Group Policy to force the home page or Group Policy Preferences to set a default page for the users.  Scripts typically only touch computers that are powered on and are on the network.  Using GPO will ensure that all computers receive the desired setting.

If you would like assistance with the GPO, please stop by the Group Policy forum.  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Friday, September 2, 2011 5:50 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Well I have more experience with running scripts remotely than doing gpedit remotely. I can check out gpedit but if someone has a script to edit the reg, I would be interested in seeing it.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:31 PM
  • reg add \\<computername>\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main” /t REG_SZ /v Default_Page_URL /d www.microsoft.com

This what you were looking for?
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Please also add the following registrys for testing.

REG ADD \\<>\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main /t REG_SZ /v Start page /d www.microsoft.com

REG ADD \\<>\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main /t REG_SZ /v Start page /d www.microsoft.com

REG ADD \\<>\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main /t REG_SZ /v Default_Page_URL /d www.microsoft.com

Best Regards,

Niki

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Hmm, I can't seem to get those to work. But that is ok. After trying to get the homepage to propagate using the registry, I think gpo might better.

Thanks Rich and Niki!

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:14 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:19 PM