Windows Vista sleep probem CODE 41 RRS feed

• Question

• My vista 64 bit machine periodically fails to wake up after having been idle for 2 hours or more.  The unhelpful dialogue reads as follows:
    Product: Windows Operating System
    Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Event ID: 41                                             
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power                                             

We're sorry
    There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.
    In response to a couple of TECHNET items I checked all devices again with device manager.   Sometimes while operating, the OS notifies me that there is an unknown USB device connected to the system.  I had thought this was a built-in multi card reader, but Device manager shows all of the reader devices are functioning properly.  DM showed one "unknown" device for which no drivers were loaded.  I disabled this device and will see if doing so resolves the sleep issue.

I have a question, however.  If I have to reboot to "wake up" this computer when the keyboard or mouse will not do so, am I fragmenting the disc as with earlier Windows versions?  Should I do dskchk to clean it up after this broken sleep cycle?  At present, I am doing this; but it would be more convenient not to have to.

Thanks.

JA Jones
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Rebooting Windows to resume from sleep mode is abnormal, and frequently doing so may affect the system or hardware reliability and potential data loss. Using CHKDSK tool is a good method to check hard disk errors, but it can’t cover all potential risks caused by too frequent rebooting.

I’ve dealt with some sleep mode issues. Based on such experience, the following factors may lead to the problem that keyboard and mouse can’t wake system up:

1.    Incorrect drivers of BIOS, motherboard or chipset. Please install updated drivers and check the issues again.

2.    In BIOS, there may be an option for turning on or off the sleep mode resume function.

3.    Unsigned drivers lead to this issue. Please click Start, type sigverif in Start Search, press enter and follow the wizard to check it.

4.    Some 3rd party services or applications may affect this behavior, please temporarily disable all firewalls and uninstall anti-virus applications; Or, perform a clean boot to see if the problem persists:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

5.    If the mouse and keyboard can’t wake up the system, they may not support this function. Please clear Allow this device to wake the computer checkbox in Device Manager. Then check whether the system can wake up from sleep by pressing power button.

In Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices / Keyboards. Right-click the USB mouse, and then click Properties. Click the Power Management tab. Click to clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box, and then click OK.

6.    In BIOS, change S3 to S1. Then Check the issue again, if the problem is gone, please refer to the following thread:

Thread: Windows Vista fails to resume from sleep
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2541915&siteid=17

Besides, generally, we can watch the event log via event viewer (Event Viewer – Windows Logs – System - Power-Troubleshooter event). If the log cannot show useful information, I suspect it to be a chipset power management issue.

Hope the information I provided may help. Nice day.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:57 AM