none
Exchange 2013 support in DPM 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen that DPM 2012 has support for Exchange 2013, but I'm on DPM 2010 and have no real motivation to upgrade other than backup of Exchange 2013.  Is this supported, or are you forced to move to DPM 2012? If not currently supported, would there be future rollups or service packs that would enable this functionality?
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• I've seen that DPM 2012 has support for Exchange 2013, but I'm on DPM 2010 and have no real motivation to upgrade other than backup of Exchange 2013.  Is this supported, or are you forced to move to DPM 2012? If not currently supported, would there be future rollups or service packs that would enable this functionality?

Not being Microsoft i cant answer for them but my guess would be that the features wont be released for DPM 2010 so you will need to upgrade so hopefully you maintained software assurance on the install

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:59 PM
  • Have not seen support for this as yet:

Exchange 2013 supports only Exchange-aware, Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)-based backups.

Exchange 2013 includes a plug-in for Windows Server Backup that enables you to make VSS-based backups of Exchange data. You can also use Windows Server Backup to back up and restore your Exchange databases. To back up and restore Exchange 2013, you must use an Exchange-aware application that supports the VSS writer for Exchange 2013, such as Windows Server Backup (with the VSS plug-in), Microsoft System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager, or a third-party Exchange-aware VSS-based application. Be aware of these limitations when using VSS for backup and restore of Exchange data:

• The VSS plug-in that ships with Exchange 2013 can be used to back up volumes containing active mailbox database copies or stand-alone (non-replicated) mailbox databases only. It can't be used to back up volumes containing passive mailbox database copies. To back up passive mailbox database copies, you need either Data Protection Manager or a third-party Exchange-aware VSS-based application.
    • Passive mailbox database copies are backed up using a separate VSS writer in the Microsoft Exchange Replication service. The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS writer doesn't support restores. Although you can back up a passive mailbox database copy using Data Protection Manager or a third-party Exchange-aware VSS-based application, you can't perform a VSS restore directly to a passive mailbox database copy. However, you can perform a VSS restore to an alternate location, suspend replication to the passive copy, and then copy the database and log files from the alternate location to the location of the passive database copy in the file system. 

For detailed steps about how to back up and restore Exchange data using Windows Server Backup, see Using Windows Server Backup to Back Up and Restore Exchange Data.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Seth,

You will need DPM2012 Sp1 to support Sharepoint 2013 and Exchange 2013.  Thank you

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/01/15/system-center-2012-sp1-data-protection-manager-is-generally-available.aspx

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Seth,

You will need to upgrade to DPM2012 Sp1 to protect Sharepoint 2013 and Exchange 2013.  Thank you

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/01/15/system-center-2012-sp1-data-protection-manager-is-generally-available.aspx

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:44 PM