Windows 7 freezing after being idle RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 Home Ultimate (32Bit) machine used solely as a living room Media Centre. It started as an XP MCE machine, and has had Vista and now Windows 7 installed, all 'clean' installs. It never had any major problems in its previous guises, but since installing Windows 7 it regularly freezes.

There is nothing installed on it other than Windows 7, and I have reinstalled it several times.

Every night between 1am and 2am, I send it to sleep with the Microsoft MCE remote control and go to bed. Most mornings, I find the PC is powered on but totally unresposive (inc. no monitor signal), so I have to hit the reset button, and therefore can't find out what woke it up in the middle of the night.

I have tried turning off optimisations in media center, and automatic downloads, but it still wakes up in the middle of the night for some reason.

As for the locking up issue, as long as I am watching TV or playing music, it behaves itself. If however, if I leave it idle i.e. not watching TV or playing music for any length of time, it freezes.

The logs never show anything, other than 'windows was not powered off properly'
    I don't have 'auto hide' enabled on the taskbar which I know can cause problems.
    I have the latest BIOS available and all drivers are from Windows Update (although I have also tried the latest Intel chipset drivers)
    I have replaced the power supply with a known good one, and the same goes for the memory and graphics card

I am totally out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Nick

Specs:

Intel T7400 Processor
    2GB Corsair ValueRAM
    GA-8I945GMMFY-RH (Intel 945GM)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT w/HDMI
    Seagate Momentus 120GB Hybrid HDD
    Hauppauge HV2200 TV Card
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

Thanks for the post!

According to my understanding, you encounter the scenario as following:

1. The PC is powered on after you send the Microsoft MCE to sleep with remote control.
    2. It freeze when you leave it idle.

The computer wouldn’t power off when you sent the MCE to sleep. Actually, the computer goes to sleep with no monitor signal (saving power mode). The same situation happened when you leave the MCE idle. I suspect the problems are related to the computer sleep mode, not the MCE itself.

You can set one device to wake up the computer, like mouse or keyboard as you like.

1. Click “Start” button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in Search bar and press Enter.
    2. Double click to expand (device category)
    3. Right click your (device name) and click “Properites”
    4. Switch to “Power Management” tab, check the “Allow this device to wake the computer” and OK.

Since you cannot find which "wake up" your computer, you can do the following to find which device wake up the computer. Follow this:

1.  Open a command prompt and run the command
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    The command will list all the devices which can wake up computer.
    2.   Try to disable each of these devices above one by one and test the problem until you find the culprit that is waking up the computer.
    powercfg -devicedisablewake "device name"
    3.  Once you find the one that is causing problems, you can re-enable the other devices.
    powercfg -deviceenablewake "device name"

If you do not want the computer goes to sleep when you leave it idle, you can disable the “Sleep”.
    Click Start – Control Panel – Hardware and Sound – Power Options – “Change when the computer sleeps” – Select “Never” for both options – Save changes.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 22, 2010 4:57 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:18 PM