none
windows store fails to open Dec 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am running windows 8.1 pro on a toshiba S855 Satellite.  The windows store app stopped working a while back.  I have tried a variety of fixes found on the net (like WSrest, and powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml, none have fixed the problem.

If I click on the winstore exe icon in the winstore folder I get the following message in a popup

script: C:windows\winstore\winstore.js

line: 15

Char: 1

Error: Expected identifier, string or number

Code: 800A0404

Source: Microsoft JScript compilation error

If I try to start winstore by typing, start "" "ms-windows-store:"  in a command prompt I get the following message,  "the remote procedure call failed.

I did also try going back in time with a restore thinking that a windows update may have caused the problem but that did not solve it.

Ted

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi try this command in powershell to reinstall the store app;

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for your time.

I tried the command you provided and got this response  "‘Get-AppxPackage’  is not recognized as an internal or external command".  You'd think that Microsoft would make it very easy to install/reinstall WinStore since it can be a money maker.

Thanks for the try.  Ted

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:47 PM
  • hi just to confirm you tried this in powershell and not command promt?
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Hi, I ran it both ways, here is what resulted using powershell

Get-AppxPackage : Access is denied.

Access is denied.

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -Dis ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-AppxPackage], UnauthorizedAccessException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetApp

xPackageCommand

Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:48 PM
  • in start type wsreset and run that file after about 5 6 seconds try the store app again
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:55 PM
  • wsreset did not help.
    Friday, December 8, 2017 12:02 AM
  • On Windows 10, fall update, same issue. Attempted all suggested solutions, no joy.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:33 AM
  • I found a program that fixed my problem.  I used    http://www.tweaking.com/     worked great.  Thanks to those who tried to help.

Sunday, December 31, 2017 10:05 PM
  • download and run   http://www.tweaking.com/    It fixed the problem for me.
    Sunday, December 31, 2017 10:06 PM