none
internet explorer 10 "acts" like it's an old version RRS feed

• Question

• Most website I navigate to with IE 10 cause a prompt that says, "you appear to be using an OLD version of IE, upgrade.." or similar verbiage. Usually the prompt has links to FF, Opera, Chrome and .... you guessed it! IE 10!! When I click on IE 10, it says I already have the latest greatest...yet I am blocked from using SOOOOO MANY websites with IE, that I just might enable FF as my "default" .... I did change the setting for "compatibility" so that a piece of quickbooks (loan manager) would run properly, but otherwise it's a myster. I am using Windows 7 Home by the way.....so far I haven't heard of another single human being on earth having this issue ...googling has revealed nothing so far. Not a big deal but for such an huge and strange issue I'm surprised it's not cropping up all over the net. thanks for any leads.
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• I did change the setting for "compatibility" so that a piece of quickbooks (loan manager) would run properly

That would do it.  That says to present an IE7 User-Agent string to all websites but many websites choose not to support IE at that low level.

You can use Developer Tools (F12) to selectively override Browser mode and Document mode.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

As Robert Aldwinckle said,you can change document mode to check the issue: 

Fix common IE problems: Update your docmode for web standards.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh779632.aspx

If the issue persists, I suggest you repair your IE to check the result.

Repair or reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:37 AM
  • You are not alone, and I've been battling with the same, exact issue, probably since you posted this almost a year ago. I'm still on Windows 7. Have a fantastic HP computer for a home-based business that I don't have time/money/incentive to change. But, even though I run IE11, I get so many errors that it's "old". And I see what you're saying; yes...it always does suggest I install Firefox (which I actually already have, b/c of this issue with other programs), and Chrome (which I have, but just don't use). I will keep reading other replies to see if there is anything else. I can't get over how many sites I have to add onto the "compatability" list, though half don't get saved and I have add them every time I use them. Frustrating. They don't care about us Windows 7 users. All of our other machines have Windows 8.1, which has been a rat's nest of other problems!
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:35 PM